Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

truck bed rust around wheel well i no its common but got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default truck bed rust around wheel well i no its common but got a ?

ok my 88 scottsdale longbed single cab has rust like crazy on my truck bed around my fenderwells which is very common for chevys of that age truck anyway thats not what im gettin to i am going to be doing soem restoration to my truck not much just little stuff as i am uinemployed collecting unemployment. i would like to no if its cheaper to buy a bed from a junk yard that has no rust and damage or to buy the replacement panels for the side and weld them on. which would be more cost effective.
also my bed has alot of dents and the bed suports for the sides are rusted off the sheetmetal so it waves at you when your driving down the road. and the some of the dents are in places you cant get into with a boddy hammer and dollys. so just let me know your opinion. i am also replaceing my hood just got done priming it yesterday now waiting on soem freinds to help put it on. i will also be ordering replacement cab coners as thoose are rusted too but not thru to the cab.
i will try to figure out how to post pics so you can see some progress.
thanks everyone

Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default well also just looked at the rear frame of my truck

and now im thinkin im just gonna sell the darn thing it needs the rear frame welded as the bumper area has almost been what looks like its been ripped off the driver side rear frame has a cut then a break all the way up the side frame and it looks like its only held on by the top part of the frame
and the passenger side frame has a small cut
as it apears that maybe the previous owner was a retard exsuse my fowl language tried to cut the bumper hitch off. i guess maybe i should have looked closer before i baught the danr truck.
maybe i will keep it and go to the junk yard and have them cut me off the frame part i need and have someone weld it on but i aint got that kind of money so maybe ill sell it i hate to see it go but i dont know yet what to do cuz if i use my hitch to pull or tow knowing that the frame is weak i could snap the whole thing off and have no rear frame from the end of the rear fender wells back to the bumper im affraid the whole thing will just fall right off.
i just want to know what yall think
about the whole deal cuz i know that i can have that part of the frame cut and welded with another one from a junk yard but it might be in the same shape as i got know or i can have someone fabricate the part of the frame so let me know what you think i should do so undecided and upset.
just let me know what yathinkg