Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Truck Sits Crooked??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Default Truck Sits Crooked??

Well, basically the back of the box on my 98 GMC 2500 is crooked and the driver side corner sits an inch and a half lower than the passenger side... The suspension all seems to be okay, but this is somewhat of an annoyance...

Ideas?
Thanks

Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

So the suspension sits level, but the bed is lower on the frame? I would measure the distance from the leaf springs to the frame on both sides and compare those measurements. If it is the bed itself (which is unlikely) and it annoys you bad enough you can lift the lower side with some steel spacers.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Well the cab seems to sit slightly crooked as well so I'd assume you are right about the frame being crooked as well but I'll measure in the morning.

Out of curiosity, how would the suspension end up being weakened on one side but not the other? I know absolutely nothing about suspension other than replacing parts and such, but it being a 3/4 ton with 8 leaf springs, my logic would tell me that it would be less likely to sag or buckle over time, and certainly not just one side of the truck...?

Thanks for the response!
Kevin

Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Well, I took some measurements today and it turns out that the distance from the leaf springs to the frame rail at one point on the driver's side is 5" and the distance at the same point on the passenger side is 6.25".

So, how would I go about fixing this?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Did you check the leafs in the springs to make sure you don't have a cracked one or less leafs on one side? If they look good it might be time to search the salvage yards for a new spring. You could raise the truck on the drivers side, but that would be rigging it. Either the previous owner was a large fella or he may have hit something on the drivers side that weakened the springs on that side. Have you measured the front springs? All trucks are a little off, but yours seems to be a bit extreme. When I used to do suspension kits (mainly lowering where I was) I had to explain that to all the customers because once the fenders were closer to the tires it would be more pronounced. We would go through some major mods to get the truck to sit perfect for the the picky guys. I am not going to lie I was one of the picky ones myself! Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Kevin I know they sell front coil spring replacements for these trucks being it is a common problem. Mine did the same thing. New coil springs in the front made it sit level.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Do you think this'll help even if there is that difference in the difference between the leaf springs in the back? I'd like to only spend money once if possible. I did some checking and it doesn't look like anything is wrong with the current leaf spring setup... no cracks and there are the same amount of leaf springs on both sides. I've also got to dump some money into ball joints, pitman arm, and tires soon so...

Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

The distance from the ground to the top of the wheel arch at the front is 35.5" exactly on both sides. I don't know if this helps at all...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM

I would say the issue is definitely in the rear leafsprings then.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I know from behind it looks like it would be in the back, which I am not doubting, but even on the parts list description when searching online it says GM trucks tend to sag on drivers side due to the front coil spring. Let me do some more research cause it looks to be in the back.

Quick Reply: Truck Sits Crooked??