Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

truck sputters on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Default truck sputters on acceleration

Hi I am new and have a problem with my 99 silverado.
my truck was running well until yesterday when I was below empty going to a meeting. I put a little gas in and after the meeting it started to sputter. I pulled into a parking lot and it stalled, then after starting it idled fine but sputtered on acceleration.(except when I floored it, then it ran like normal).
I thought it was bad gas and put some more in from a different station but it is still bad. it has stalled twice since the first time. it appears as if the idle speed when stopped at a light goes up to 1100 then back to normal. the sputtering almost feels like it is shifting really hard or is going to stall. It happens at most speeds.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Fuel filter. Check fuel pressure. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'd say put more gas in it, up to at least 1/4 tank. My guess is that you're still sucking in air, and have possibly damaged the fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure, and possibly put in a new fuel filter. If you did get some bad gas, perhaps your filter is clogged.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Maybe the buoy that floats in the tank is stuck?

when you change the filter, pry it open and take a look at it... see what you got building up in there

If you have the time or curiosity, drop the tank remove the fuel pump and inspect it... cotton swab inside the rails, look around for buildup in there, take a look at the screen on the bottom of the pump...

... Inspect the inside of the tank, swab the inside top, the sides, look around for any rust inside. Chevy tanks are fairly easy to drop without jacking up the truck.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by NullHead
I'd say put more gas in it, up to at least 1/4 tank. My guess is that you're still sucking in air, and have possibly damaged the fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure, and possibly put in a new fuel filter. If you did get some bad gas, perhaps your filter is clogged.
i dont know if this pertains to a 99 silverado but my dads 99 suburban had the same problem they never put a full tank of gas in as it was a 44 gallon tank needles to say they burnt up the fuel pump 3 times and know it is about to go out again but its on my carport ready fro me to get working on it
anyway your fuel pump believe it or not is lubicated by and cooled by the gas in the tank thats why i allways no matter how much gas is i fill up at when my truck drops to half a tank

if there isnt enaugh fuel to cool and lubricate the fuel pump it will burn up and go bad ok ok it wont literaly catch fire but it will stop working and sieze up
so try puting more gas in then halfand see how that works

hope this helps

null head has a great point i thaught i would share mine also

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Like already mentioned replace the filter and check pressure.

Cubpak - make sure you upgrade the harness on your dad's Suburban or it will keep burning up pumps. It is a good idea to keep the fuel level above 1/4 but it has been proven that the harness that goes to the pump is faulty (wire gauge to thin). GM and some aftermarket companies sell a new pig tail to splice in that fixes it. I had a 96 Tahoe that had 4 pumps put in it until the harness was replaced and it never went out again. This was right around the time that GM realized the harness issue. Mine was really burned up. Also verify that the ground wire going to the frame is clean.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Default Problem solved

truck sputters on acceleration-img_0927.jpgHello Everyone,
Thanks for all you advice and tips. I got looking around and found this wire had come loose. I am not sure what it is for but plugged it back in and it is running normal again.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah that would do it. That is the Coolant Temp Sensor and affects the fuel/air mixture. Glad you found it - free fixes are my favorite!!!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Like already mentioned replace the filter and check pressure.

Cubpak - make sure you upgrade the harness on your dad's Suburban or it will keep burning up pumps. It is a good idea to keep the fuel level above 1/4 but it has been proven that the harness that goes to the pump is faulty (wire gauge to thin). GM and some aftermarket companies sell a new pig tail to splice in that fixes it. I had a 96 Tahoe that had 4 pumps put in it until the harness was replaced and it never went out again. This was right around the time that GM realized the harness issue. Mine was really burned up. Also verify that the ground wire going to the frame is clean.
thanks shamrock i will make sure to do that