Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Truck turns over but won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Default Truck turns over but won't start!!!

I havea '98 Silverado 2WD. I just bought it about a month ago and I'm having some problems with it. Somewhat randomly, it won't start up. When I turn the key it'll turn over and try to start, but it just won't fire up. The fuel pump is working, because I can hear it turn on. I just put new spark plugs in it and it gives a spark. The other day when I tried starting it, it did the same thing, it wouldn't start. I checked the spark plugs and they were soaked in gas. I dried them up, and still it wouldn't fire.

I decided to have it towed to a shop to have it checked out, and once it got there, it started right up, no problem. What could possibly be the problem? It seems like when I don't use it for a little while (1 or 2 days), the problem occurs.

Please help, because I have no idea what to do..[:@]

Thanks..

Old 11-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Truck turns over but won't start!!!

I have a '95 Chevy Silverado. I had the same problem. After about 6 months of 'process of elimination' I found that it was the 'Ignition Starter Switch' The dealer wanted $348.00 for the switch, and 3 hours labor @ $90.00 to replace it. Long story short..... go to '1AAuto.com' - I think I got the switch for $159.00 (Cheapest place for the exact part you need), and I was able to change it out my self. Very Easy to do. Took about an hour and a half. It fixed the problem, and the truck has been running strong since I did it. It was doing the same exact thing as you are describing on your '98. 100% - your 'Ignition Starter Switch'. The switch itself is attached to the right hand side of the steering wheel column, under the ignition cylinder where you put the key in. The part comes with the whole wiring harness already to go. Just unplug old 1, and pull the wiring from under your dash, and plug in the new 1. THAT EASY. - Jason

[IMG]local://upfiles/5407/B6984ACF5B0F483F9661C464912EE941.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM

OK. I'll check that out as soon as I can and hopefully that's it. Do you know if there is any way to measure if the switch is working properly or not? I don't want to spend $150-200 and then have that not be the problem, you know what I mean? I appreciate it bud, I'll let you know if that was it!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM

most likely,its the fuel pump....

most failed pumps run,but fail to produce the 53 psi needed to get a nut.

to be sure,i'df invest in a prssure gauge and try it daily...

WARNING...do NOT buy a cheap pump...A/c delco all the way.....and be sure to look in the plug for the pump...they get burnt and cause headaches

Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM

I've checked the fuel pump pressure and it's good, so the fuel pump is good. I checked it when the truck wasn't starting, just turning over. I'm positive that it's not the fuel pump.. Thanks though!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 AM

it was 53?...that truck ain't starting at 50

Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Yeah.. I have good pressure. Also, my spark plugs were soaked in gas when it didn't start. After I dried them up and but it back in, it still wouldn't start. It's like it's flooding for some reason.. Either that or it's not getting a spark quick enough and then it floods. I have no idea.... Would the spark plugs be wet if there is no fuel pressure?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM

I had an injector get stuck one time on a company truck, and it fouled the spark plug in one cylinder, but it ran. ran like ****, but it ran. it was a ford too. P.O.S.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Ya may be losing spark then..an ignition module or coil can do that...or cap...or rotor...or crank sensor......

Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 AM

Would a trouble code show if it was a sensor?

Quick Reply: Truck turns over but won't start!!!