Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Truck will turn over but won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Default Truck will turn over but won't start?

Hey everyone, I thought I was almost finished getting my truck in working order, until I tried to start it. I started it about once a month, and It needed a charge each time, but it fired each time no problem. Now it turns over but won't start. I can hear it sort of trying to fire, but nothing. Which is odd, because it ran once today for about 5 minutes. I know its not my battery, or my alternator. I should tell you guys that I have had the truck about 8 months, and never put any new gas in it until today, when I put 5 new gallons in it. A mechanic friend of mine told me it is most likely varnished gas, and that I just need to run the truck to burn it all out. I tried starting fluid in the throttle body, but nothing worked. Any ideas? Could it be bad gas?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 AM

what year is your truck? Some newer vehicles will not run unless the intake tube is on, the PCM must detect airflow over the MAF or air temp sensor or something. I know on mine if it is running and I pull the intake tube off the TB, it will shut off. What all did you fix on the truck?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:49 PM

I replaced the left rear wheel cylinder, new brake line to go with it, new tailgate and hinges, and thats it.