Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Turn Signal Flasher for 1994 Silverado K1500 5.7L-V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Default Turn Signal Flasher for 1994 Silverado K1500 5.7L-V8

I need to replace the turn signal flasher on my old Silverado but can't seem to find the correct one. Advance Auto Parts only had one generic brand flasher (not model specific) that was a little smaller in size than the original one but it did have 3 prongs. I bought it and installed it but my left rear turn signal still isn't working. I then went to Pepboys and they had several different ones but they don't state what vehicles they fit. They're only labeled EP35, EP36, EP37, etc. One of them seemed to be exactly the same size but I don't recall the number.

The turn signal flasher that I'm replacing (the bad one) is a GM turn signal flasher #09442872.

I removed the left rear turn signal from the truck and checked the 3 bulbs (brake/turn/backup) and all 3 are good.

Can anyone help?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by jafran456
I need to replace the turn signal flasher on my old Silverado but can't seem to find the correct one. Advance Auto Parts only had one generic brand flasher (not model specific) that was a little smaller in size than the original one but it did have 3 prongs. I bought it and installed it but my left rear turn signal still isn't working. I then went to Pepboys and they had several different ones but they don't state what vehicles they fit. They're only labeled EP35, EP36, EP37, etc. One of them seemed to be exactly the same size but I don't recall the number.

The turn signal flasher that I'm replacing (the bad one) is a GM turn signal flasher #09442872.

I removed the left rear turn signal from the truck and checked the 3 bulbs (brake/turn/backup) and all 3 are good.

Can anyone help?
screw advanced auto go to oriellys they have vehical specific parts all the time
that is the only parts store i trust after dealing with other stores and traveling about 60 miles to find otu they werent sposed to even have the part in the store

Old 07-23-2011, 07:02 AM

If you know the part number, and can't find the right one at a retail parts store, why not bite the bullet and go to a Chevy or GMC dealer an purchase one. They will have the exact replacement part, though it will be a little more costly.

You could probably order the "GM turn signal flasher #09442872" on line, too.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:18 AM

I have to ask. Why do you think the flasher is at fault? If only the LR signal is not working then I suggest it is simply a bulb or open circuit to that picular lamp.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM

I removed the turn signal from the vehicle and checked the three bulbs. All 3 of them look good but I guess I could throw a new one in there just in case. When I activate the left turn signal, the flasher makes a weird clicking noise (doesn't sound normal). I had a similar problem with the turn signals years ago and the flasher was making the same noise so I replaced it. That seemed to fix the problem. I don't think I've ever seen an O'Reillys down here in south Florida but I'll look them up and I'm pretty sure a Chevy dealer has got one but I don't want to pay 3x the price for one. This is a 17 year old truck! Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM

OK guys, I think I'm back in business. I stopped at an AutoZone on the way in to work this morning. They had the same flashers as PepBoys. I asked one of the salespersons if he could crossreference my GM flasher to one of his. After several minutes of researching on his computer, he was able to crossreference the GM flasher to an EP36. I bought one and installed it. All of my turnsignals work properly now and so do the emergency flashers so I think I'm good. I'll doublecheck everything again when I get home this evening. BTW...the EP36 flasher is physically smaller than the GM flasher. It's about 3/4 the size of the GM flasher but it seems to be the correct one. It was $12. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Great!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Hope you got it working... if not, take the right light panel and hook it up to the left side wiring. if it doesn't work then it could be some wiring.

I learned that the expensive way and ended up replacing the light panel for $80 and didn't have to. Boo!