Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Undercoating??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Default Undercoating??

Is getting my truck undercoated worth it?? It has never gone through a Michigan winter so I'm quite concerned about the damage it could cause my truck, which is in pristine condition. I don't know anything about how an undercoating works or if there are different kinds or what. I looked into getting the rocker panels Rhino lined, but it was way outta my price range.

What does an undercoating cost anyways?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Beginner

It all depends on what you are using to undercoat..... There are rubberized products that supposedly seal the underbody. My experience is they work fine UNTIL the coating is compromised. Then water gets in, with winter salt and proceeds to do more damage than if it was exposed. Some people like to clean, wirebrush and paint, POR15, etc. frame parts to slow the corrosion process. I have used a product called Waxoyl in the past. Its a British product that the Brit car guys like. Basically two formulations of oily/waxy stuff that you spray onto the underside, etc. Never completely dries so it runs into cracks/chips and seals them too. Needs to be reapplied every couple of years. Tough to find, messy to apply but it works. Theres a company in Canada called Krowne?? that does yearly rustproofing. Maybe its worth a trip over the border? Lastly is the "Vermont rustproofing" technique. This consists of spraying, brushing, splashing used motor oil all over the entire underside of the vehicle and then going for a long ride on a dirt road. The dust sticks to the oil and "sets" it. Definitely not EPA approved! I did know a few old timers from Vermont that used this method and swore by it. Done once a year right before winter, their cars lasted "forever" which in Vermont speak is about 15 years. I'm guessing Vermont salts as heavy as Michigan.

Since I now live in Southern NE and the winters have many thaws I wash all the cars every time the temps get over 32*F. Hose out the undersides thoroughly. You are not likely to get that in MI.

RT