Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Unlocking the truck with the ignition key

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Default Unlocking the truck with the ignition key

New to the forum. Have a 2008 LT1/Z71. If I unlock the door with the ignition key, the horn alarm sounds. I can unlock with the remote key fob and have no problem.

I read the owners manual about the theft deterrent system. Says if you lock it with the key fob while the door is open you will arm the alarm system. If I lock it with the armrest button, and then close the door, the alarm will sound when unlocked with the key. If I walk away from the truck and lock it with the fob, the alarm will sound when unlocked with the key. Why?

Over the years, I've got used to carrying the ignition key in one pocket and the remote fob in the other. I have been known to lock my keys in my truck. Owned Chevy's for years. Have always been able to unlock with the ignition key. This is the first one that I can't.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Beginner

I just purchased my 2007 silverado and I'd like to know this answer too

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
I just purchased my 2007 silverado and I'd like to know this answer too
I called the dealer this past Monday. The service manager said he hadn't seen anything on this issue. But, now that I mentioned it, he said it might explain why so many of the cars on the lot would sound the alarm when opened with a key. He said the salesmen had gotten used to immediately getting the key into the ingition to cancel the alarm condition.

If time allows, this next week... or if no one on the forum had an answer... I'll call around to another half dozen or so GM dealers and see what I can find out. Should I get a "real" answer and fix mine... I'll report back to the forum so you can fix yours!!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 PM

An answer to this problem would be good to me too. I gave up on using the key in the door to unlock it and stuck with the remote. Needless to say, my alarm goes off everytime the key unlocks the door. I would like to know what you find out when asking the dealers.