Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cam Sensor Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Default Cam Sensor Help Please

Hello all. Sorry to be new to the board and start off with asking a question, but my Uncle is sitting here broken down. Ive been wanting to join this board since my father and I just bought matching duallys, but you know how time is! Anyway, can someone please help us with this question. My uncle has an 02 with the 8.1. He recently replaced the Crank Sensor. Now the engine light is coming back on and Advance Auto said it was a cam sensor. They did check it with a hand held. Well they sold him one, but we cant find it. We have checked the Chilton type books at two stores and none of them show the location. Please help, I like my uncle, but my house is to small for him to stay. He has to go

Thanks in advance
Bob

Old 10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Default RE: Cam Sensor Help Please

split1

That's what these forums are for... to get questions answered.

The cam position sensor (or CMP, as GM refers to it) is mounted on the driver's side of the front timing cover. just below the water pump. It's a simple change if you can get to it. I am in the process of changing my water pump at this moment, and it's really easy to see with the fan. shroud, and water pump out of the way.

As for your crank position sensor (CKP), did you have a dealer run it through the "learn" cycle? I was just looking through my service manual at the CKP info and saw the procedure for calibrating it. If you've been to the dealer to get done, you are aware of it, if not, that could be why you're getting a check engine indication.

The cam position sensor does not need any sort of calibration, just install it and go.

Good luck with your Uncle.... and his truck, too!!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Default RE: Cam Sensor Help Please

Viabill,

Many thanks. We found the sensor and are good now!

Appreciate the help.