Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Oil will not drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Default Oil will not drain

Took my 99 gmc in for an oil change and the oil would not drain from the plug. Do I need to run some type of engine cleaner through it?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM

I can't help but asking this... Your sure there was oil in the pan, and where did you take it to be changed?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM

yeah. there was probably no oil

because the only way something will make it not drain is something solid bigger than that bolt.and if theres something in there that big something is wrong with your engine.

i suggest when you refill check your oil and make sure you didnt grind down any of your main bearings or a new engine is in your future

Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM
TruckForum Addict

That's not a good sign.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

So there was oil on the dipstick but none would drain out???

Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sounds like a bad case of sludge build up. I have seen it on some of the antique cars my grandfather worked on in the past. He use to tear down those simple motors and rebuild them after cleaning them thoroughly. Maybe someone has an idea for you other than a rebuild with a thorough cleaning.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 AM

How mant miles since the last oil change? I'm gonna agree with everyone else and assume there's no oil in there because something just doesn't sound right about that.

If your engine is indeed that sludged up, the only thing a motor flush will do is guarantee that something bad is gonna happen. With that much sludge, it's what's holding everything together and if you flush it all out it will be loose, all the grooves that were filled with sludge will now let whatever blow on through.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

He said the dipstick had oil on it. When you pull the oil drain plug, stick a long screwdriver in it and see if it starts to drain oil. If it does then there is definately sludge in it. Either way I agree with everyone else... Sounds like trouble.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I would stick a screwdriver in hole and see if the oil will come out. (best senerio)
After oil is out, if it holds 5 quarts put 4 in and a can a seafoam.
Drive it a few days or a week then change it again.

Straightleg

Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Don't you love it when someone posts a question or concern and then disappears?!?!?!?!
Good luck to you Marty wherever you are!

Quick Reply: Oil will not drain