Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

want to replace stock radio 94 silverado.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
ofg
Default want to replace stock radio 94 silverado.

I searched Crutchfield, and found only replacements for cassette player. Is there an aftermarket head unit that fits in the upper dash location? My truck has the radio tuner in upper dash right side,, and the cassette player in the far middle of the dash. It would be very inconvenient to mount an aftermarket unit in the far middle, and have to reach all the way over there for every adjustment.

Ideally, I would like it all to be in the upper cluster where the stock radio and air conditioner controls are.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Administrator

I did the recommended replacement of the Cassette player with a head unit and although I thought it would be a pain to have to reach all the way over there, it's really not bad at all. i searched for a replacement for the actual radio in the dash, but I found that they were all expensive or didn't fit. It's your decision, but I'm pretty happy with my set up.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have also replaced a few of these radios in my trucks. It isn't as bad as it might seem to reach the radio, but I guess I pretty much just listen to the same station so I am not constantly reaching for it. You might consider a radio with a remote if you think it will be a hassle.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM

i have done quit a few of these swaps but there is non that i know of that change out for the stock radio location. You can buy the centre piece with vents and all included then get a cute little storage box to replace the stock radio. i have only come across these in black but anything can be painted. they are plastic so dont know about dying them. The set up actually makes the deck sit out slightly from the dash and loos alright. as for reaching over its not that bad and i would suggest one with a remote for sure if you are that concerned. all in all what ever you do over those years radios is nothing but an improvement. just be prepared to pony up for some aftermarket speakers they are the second best investment you can make in your stereo build. followed by amps and subs optional.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm looking for a stock set up for my '90 Silverado. Did you ever change yours, and if so, do you want to get rid of the stock parts? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have one if he doesn't want to sell his. Let me know.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:36 AM
TruckForum Addict

Take the stock set up completely out. Throw it as far as you can in the middle of a road and watch it get run over. Best thing to do. Oh and be sure to get all 3 pieces out. Install an after market in the place of the stock cassette player. You will be very happy... Trust me. If you are concerned about reaching across to change stations... get a radio with a remote....
I had a 90 model Chevy, replaced the radio and was driving from Texas to Kentucky the reach was not bad and kept me awake.
With my old radio I replaced my grand fathers stock radio with it and a month or 2 later it went bad. Now it has a aftermarket radio and he is very happy. He asked me why he wasted his time and mine putting my stock radio in place of his stock radio that went bad. And this from a 78 year old man...lol

Last edited by timber74wolf; 09-05-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:11 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
Take the stock set up completely out. Throw it as far as you can in the middle of a road and watch it get run over. Best thing to do. Oh and be sure to get all 3 pieces out. Install an after market in the place of the stock cassette player. You will be very happy... Trust me. If you are concerned about reaching across to change stations... get a radio with a remote....
I had a 90 model Chevy, replaced the radio and was driving from Texas to Kentucky the reach was not bad and kept me awake.
With my old radio I replaced my grand fathers stock radio with it and a month or 2 later it went bad. Now it has a aftermarket radio and he is very happy. He asked me why he wasted his time and mine putting my stock radio in place of his stock radio that went bad. And this from a 78 year old man...lol
I am looking for the bracket in dash that supports the stock cassette player. if anyone has one please let me know !