Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Water coming in on passenger side under heater core, but only when it rains

1997 Z71... When it rains, water comes in pretty heavy on the passenger side floorboard, through the bottom of the heater core. (not a heater core leak though). I think it only does this when driving also, not sitting still. It'll have pinestraw, dirt, misc. stuff coming in also. Is there a drain hose or something that could possibly be stopped up?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Water coming in on passenger side under heater core, but only when it rains

well, the same thing happened on my current Grand Prix. Completely different vehicles, but probably the same answer. The water runs down the windshield and under the plastic lip at the bottom (instead of over it and through the channels to run the water off). The water then goes down, on the engine side of the firewall until it gets to the heater core, where it pools and runs inside.

If it is a drain, they usually run down on the inside of the fenders at the base of the windshield. I can't remember my '94 anymore to be exactly sure (sold it a few months ago).

Old 08-02-2007, 04:27 AM

Default RE: Water coming in on passenger side under heater core, but only when it rains

sure its not a/c water?... sounds like the drain is plugged..OR the rubber elbow fell off that points down to the road
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM

use silicon around the heater core. mine did the same thing.
87 chevy r10. 355, TH400,performance cam and World Products S/R Touquer heads, 2800 stall converter,custom Turbo City chip,celica seats,HVH throttle body spacer,TBI injector spacer,dual air intake,headers and dual flowmaster super 40's w/ turndowns.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Appreciate the reply, but no, I'm positive it's not the a/c water because it clearly drains onto the ground. This water only comes in when its raining, and the vehicle is moving.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 PM

must be a plug missing somewhere if itsonly when moving...look at the antenna cable grommett good as well...near the a/c drier
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Argon,
I did see that the "thing" (for lack of a name for it) at the bottom of the windshield, between the hood and windshield where the wipers are connected is broke on that side. Could this be the problem? I haven't checked the grommett out yet as you were suggesting.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:59 AM

you mean the plastic grille?..no,water travels through the grill and is guided out....
Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Where does the outside air enter the cabin? Is there a lot of the same material under the grill as what's coming into the cab? Do you even have pine trees where you live? I though the fresh air entered through the grill.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Check the seal on the windshield. I had the same problem on my wife's minivan. Completely puddled up the floorboard. Rain was being blown through a break in the seal. Pull the flooring or carpet out for awhile. You'll never find the leak if you leave the carpet in. It's easier to tell where it's coming from on naked metal.
05 Chevy Silverado 1500 CC Z71 5.3L K&N FIPK CAI, Torque Curve TBS, Granatelli Cold Air Tuned MAF & MPG+ Spark Plug Wires, Halo Plugs, Magnaflow high flow cats & cat-back dual exhaust, Doug Thorley headers
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Tags
1500, 1997, air, cabin, chevy, coming, comming, firewall, fresh, gmc, heater, leaking, rains, silverado, siverado, vehicle, water