Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

What. The. EFFFF!!!!???!!! Confounded by Noise

Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Default What. The. EFFFF!!!!???!!! Confounded by Noise

Ok...my 1999 Z-71 Silverado has started to make a strange roaring noise that appears to be originating from the front end. It initially sounded like bad tires, so I replaced the two old front ones. My next thought was transmission, but it shifts great and the fluid looks acceptable. I then thought it was the differential because my tires are different sizes, but I do not use the 4x4 and won't until the tires match AND it was making this noise prior to tire change.

A few more things:
1. The tires show no unusual wear, even on the old ones.
2. There is no movement in the steering wheel, despite the sound.
3. With the windows down, there is a metallic rattle coming distinctly from the front passenger tire area.
4. The noise begins at around 20 m.p.h. It also gets softer or stops when I gradually turn left while driving on the highway. At low speeds, it sounds like a tire is out of round, but they have been re-balanced twice and come out fine.
5. The truck has almost 175k and all original front end.

Is it time for a complete front-end overhaul or is there something stupid and incredibly simple that I am missing?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Y'all!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

One or both of your front hubs are bad. They aren't cheap, but a very easy fix. They have the bearings in them that go bad and will roar. The noise will change when turning or swerving because the load on the bad bearing is changing.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3338&ppt=C0362

Here is a link to one at O'reilly's

Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
One or both of your front hubs are bad. They aren't cheap, but a very easy fix. They have the bearings in them that go bad and will roar. The noise will change when turning or swerving because the load on the bad bearing is changing.
Is this something that I can do in my garage or should I put it in the shop? I used to work as a fleet technician, so I am pretty good on cars, but I have not done a whole lot of front end work.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 PM

It is very easy and if you can do a front brake job you can do this. If you don't have one you will need a torque wrench, but it is a very straight forward swap.
Pull the wheels
Remove the caliper & rotor
Remove the old hub
Install new hub (make sure you torque it)
Install brakes and wheels

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Does it sound like this...

Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Ruffneck...I really couldn't tell. I will try to tape it later if I remember. Mine is definitely louder than what I could hear on the video.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

It will sound similar to having M/T tires.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM

jack your front tires off the ground and check for play in the wheel bearings. that video is a pretty good how to, but despite what it say DO NOT let your caliper hang from the break hose, tie it up out of the way.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
jack your front tires off the ground and check for play in the wheel bearings. that video is a pretty good how to, but despite what it say DO NOT let your caliper hang from the break hose, tie it up out of the way.
Yea...I had to laugh a little at that. I at least sit them on top of something so they don't strain the hoses. Not the best advice I have ever heard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What. The. EFFFF!!!!???!!! Confounded by Noise