Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

what muffler to use for a little rumble....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Default what muffler to use for a little rumble....

Hello All, Yeah its the PITA again.... Thinking about going to a different muffler for my truck, as funds are too tight right now, to do a catback system. I'm wondering if anyone has just put an aftermarket muffler ona 4.8L, and what kind of sound did you get? My brother has Magnaflow mufflers on his Jeep Grand Cherokee, and they sound nice under load, but not too loud idling. The wife has the Gibson catback system on her Avalanche, and it sounds awesome. I'm wondering what muffler i need, to replace the oem muffler. The oem muffler is 25" long, w/o the inlet/outlet. The end of my oem tailpipe is 2.75" wide. The exhaust on it is stock, but just wondering what i need to get a little rumble, but can hear myself think going down the road. Or should i go to like Meineke or someplace and ask them? I don't want cherry bombs or thrush mufflers, just a little more rumble than stock. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanx, Jim

Old 05-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Default RE: what muffler to use for a little rumble....

50 Series flowmasters.... decent noise on acceleration, and quiet on the highway. They are just about right if u ask me

Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Heres what i did- (i've had both flowmaster and magnaflows so i know what you mean.) The way i got the magnaflow to sound more aggressive was by getting a smaller muffler 5"H x 8"W x18"L (model #12259 i think) then dumped it with a turn down in front of the rear axle. Great rumble! Very deep tone. Inside the cab too.

i've heard the 50 series too they sound really good very similar in sound to the set up i mentioned, only magnaflows straight through design will deliver the better performance. Really you won't go wrong either way, good luck!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 PM

The 40 series flowmasters that I have with my free flowing setup is not teribble loud. 40s generally are, but I really opened mine up so it is not too loud. Running on the highway the CAI i slouder than the mufflers.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM

really? my super 40's suck on the highway! im tryin to get rid of them and get either 44's or i guess 40's. Is there the drone noise with the 40's? Because thats what i hate about mine, you can hear it over my badass sterio, and thats no good.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:13 AM

you can always get a resonator to quiet those flows down in the cab.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 AM

I just installed the Flowmaster super 44 single in dule out with the GM bow tie tips. It looks and sounds sweet, but not to load inside the cab, I also noticed an increase in lowend power!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM

OPEN HEADERS!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:54 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: HarderThanRocks

OPEN HEADERS!
X2

Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 AM

open headers would be nice, a cheapass glasspack woul sound great too

Quick Reply: what muffler to use for a little rumble....