Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Where to hide a spare key?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Default Where to hide a spare key?

im going to crawl under my truck tonight and find a good spot to hide a spare in case i locked myself out and secure it....ive never done this before and im kind of hesitant to do it cuz of the area i live in but i will make sure it is completely hidden and secured, and might put it in one of those hideakey lockboxes

what is a good place to stash it?

im always very careful about not locking myself out, anytime i ever get out of my truck without taking the keys out which is rare i roll the window down all the way

but still things happen

its a 2500 HD.....any ideas?

Last edited by GMCSierraFan; 12-15-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Confusion
Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

I edited your post so it made more sense, I understood that you were talking about a key, but it took me awhile to figure it out. no worries though.

I keep a spare set of keys in one of the little magnetic boxes that they sell at autozone for $1.50. I have it stuck inside one of the bed rails inside the rear wheelwell. I used to have it inside of one of the tubes on my hitch, but I had to move it when I put the duals on.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Beginner

If you tell everyone here where it's at . . .

Can someone really say it's hidden ?

Just get a combo hitch cap.

Boat & RV shops sell em'

Red, *<(:{)-

Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM

About the most secure place to stuff one of the lock boxes in a high theft area is up inside the hanging spare tire. Most people wont bother to crawl around on the ground and dig around up in there to look for it..it draws to much attention. inside of fenders or inside the front or rear bumper is the most looked in places.
Just a thought about hiding things..I wrap a tube of lock antifreeze in a paper towel and put it inside my gas filler cap cover. So when your locks freeze, and if you live in an area like I do (buffalo NY) they will..it is easy to get to and if someone takes it your only out a buck. But when you need it, it is priceless!! Just a thought, it has worked for me MANY times.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Dam whats gonna happen if ur on a date in a nice set of clothes and you lock urself out?? Lmao j/k I just put mine on the inner bedside in the back where I have to reach really hard to get it. Its kinda hard to stick ur head in there and look especially wit a flashlight.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 AM

I've only got one key to my bloody truck, so I'm spared the difficulty of where to hide another one.

Although, if I lose this bad boy, I'm completely and quite thoroughly F***ed aren't I?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 AM

I ziptied mine to my brake lines right next to my gas tank. it wouldnt be hard to find but i only lock my truck when im at work or in a parking lot.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM

How about putting it in your wallet ?

Duh.... lol

Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Beginner
Default Hiding a spare key

How about a mini key safe in the trailer hitch receiver:
http://www.divesports.com/HitchSafe-.../hs-7000-t.htm

Old 01-20-2010, 05:10 PM

In your wallet! Now that's the ticket!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to hide a spare key?