Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

A series of transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Default A series of transmission questions

Hey guys. I'm brand new to Chev forums, but I've been messing with cars and trucks all my life. Recently, my company truck of 177K miles (it's a 5.3 2wd 2007 Silverado) started pouring transmission fluid out of the bellhousing. I'll try to be as brief as possible with this...

First, how do I identify the transmission? I assume it is a 4l60, but I need to confirm.

Second, I've never more than cracked the pan on a GM transmission although I've rebuilt Ford's C4s, C6s and T5s, and Toploaders. I realize there are special tools involved in rebuilding this transmission, but is this a relatively easy transmission to build?

Third, this happened while I was getting the truck out of a snow drift during our recent 17" of snow. I had it revved up in reverse when I noticed the smell and saw the fluid pouring out of the bellhousing. My guess is that the front pump is shot, but I'm curious if anyone could help me confirm this or suggest something else I screwed up.

It seems like a lot of work for a company truck, but trust me...it's worth it. Since it's past its prime, they want to replace it rather than have the transmission rebuilt. Sounds great, I know, but the boss wants to replace it with a Toyo-turd Sienna than another Silverado and since I'm not ready to quit and find another job, I've decided to fix this thing myself under the radar and bill him for parts.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like a pump seal issue too me.This is a fairly easy tranny to build...I do believe it is a 4l65e but I will have to double check......most of the time the pump bushing comes loose and starts to push aginst the seal....but I have also seen the converter neck crack and cause the very same kind of leak......I suggest that you pull the tranny and check the bushing and the converter...chances are you tore the bushing up anyway it the converter neck cracked

Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 PM

That truck has a 100Kmile/5yr powertrain warranty. So you might still be covered but they might deny the claim given how you think the leak started.

For identifying the tranny, look at the RPO codes in the sticker in the glove box. You can check them out at http://www.compnine.com/vid.php to decode the VIN and the RPO codes.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by chrisbmo2000
sounds like a pump seal issue too me.This is a fairly easy tranny to build...I do believe it is a 4l65e but I will have to double check......most of the time the pump bushing comes loose and starts to push aginst the seal....but I have also seen the converter neck crack and cause the very same kind of leak......I suggest that you pull the tranny and check the bushing and the converter...chances are you tore the bushing up anyway it the converter neck cracked

So could I drop the transmission, put in a new pump and converter and solve the leak? With the other transmissions I've worked on, that's all it would take. I didn't run it dry, so I don't expect other damage.

On the other hand, if I need a complete rebuild, my partner just turned in his 05 2WD so I'm curious if I could take the transmission from his and switch them.

A front pump is fairly inexpensive as is a converter, and again, I'm trying to keep this under the radar in an effort to avoid an untimely Sienna fate.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Yeah it should solve the issue as long as thats what it is......at this point you really need to pull it and see whats going on. Im not sure about the 05 tranny cause I dont know what tranny either are at the moment....I didnt get a chance to pull my tranny book out last night

Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator