Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Write-up: Replacing Oil Pressure Switch

Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Default Write-up: Replacing Oil Pressure Switch

I've been getting a CEL for an oil pressure Switch (C0521) I believe it is.

Anyways, I assumed I could unplug the connector, unscrew it, and screw it back in and be done in an hour or less. Boy was I wrong.

This video proved to be the most helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWWWbtLx44 as it is the only one I have seen online that is for a 4x4 pickup. The 2wd pickups have significantly more room.

The pressure sensor is on the drivers side of the engine, in the very back, directly behind the intake, on the other side of the plastic cover, and screwed into the back. It is almost impossible to get at with anything besides your fingers. On top of it all, the connector is a bear. The connector requires that you slide the white piece to the top while pressing the black tab underneath it and pulling up on the connector... which is very tough to do with one hand while laying on the engine with your feet in the air. I'm sure I could have gotten it if it was twisted ANY other way, but the clip part of the connector was facing the inside of the engine right up against another plastic piece. Mission Impossible.

After over an hour of cussing at the thing, I fashioned a hook out of a peice of wire from a white wire shelf, and used it to (hopefully) press the black tab in because my finger was so cut up and numb at that point I coulnd't feel it anymore. This didn't work and it got jammed under the white slide, so I hooked some plyers to it and yanked the white slide off. Presto, I was able to press the slide and pop it off.

At about 7.34 in the video, you can see his setup for wrenching the part out. This is where I am at and at 10:00 on sunday night, I did not have a 1/2" drive swivel extension so I am stuck.

When Katie gets home from work today I'll take her car and buy a swivel and post how far I get.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Update:

Sorry I'm a few days late. After borrowing a 1/2" drive swivel socket it took me about another 45 minutes to swap out the sensor and put everything back together.

The CEL went out but then kicked back on a few days later. I got an oil change last night and it is off. If the light returns, my next step will be to change the screen under the sensor (should have done this to begin with). If this doesn't solve the problem, I most likely have an electrical issue between the Oil pressure sensor and the ECM... which could be a PITA to diagnose.

Anyways, I hope the problem is fixed. The OIl Pressure Switch is a common problem on these engines, so I hope this writeup helps someone else who feels frustrated.