Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

Stereo Wiring Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Beginner
Default Stereo Wiring Help!

I got a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, 7 Speakers ~ Without Navigation System. I am getting a new stereo for it. But what I am wondering is, How do I wire it? What do I need? Like all I need is a dashkit, stereo, wire harness, and antenna adapter. & for wiring, is it color to color. Is there wire's on the factory harness that wont be on the new wire harness. Also I need a wiring diagram for the stereo for my type of truck. I have posted this on many other forums and I never get a complete and clear answer!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Administrator

You are correct on most of it, and the rest you may have a difficult time understanding until you actually have it apart.

You need:
-dash kit
-Wiring harness
-Antenna adapter
-stereo
-Either wire nuts or solder (i prefer solder)

The wiring harness will come with a wiring diagram. You then take the harness for your vehicle and the harness for the stereo and solder the proper connections together and wrap in tape. There should be about 8 of them I believe. The antenna adapter will be a direct plug in.

The dash kit is a different story as I've found that those universal ones almost always require modifications that are a pain in the butt, but sometimes they work fine.

To answer your questions- yes, there has always been a few wires on the stereo harness that don't go to anything on the truck. I would recommend taking out the old stereo and creating your "new" harness first- then plugging it in and verifying that everything works (all speakers, radio etc) Then unhook everything and tackle the dash kit. You may have to reference a few youtube videos for this though.

Hope this helps