Dodge/ Ram 1500 Forum Discuss the Dodge Ram and Ram 1500 here.

What to watch for.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Beginner
Default What to watch for.

I am considering buying either a 2011 Longhorn (with the Rambox option), or an Avalanche of similar year. With the Ram what types of concerns should I watch for or be aware of? Any advice on which of the two is the better option? Our use for a truck is general semi-rural living (hauling wood, dirt, tools, equipment like a generator, rotor tiller, bicycles, camping gear trees and shrubs, trash, furniture, lumber, sheetrock, also driving in snow/ice to and from work, plus some longish trips). We do some off road/rough road driving where high clearance and 4x4 are useful. I am only interested in a Ram (Rambox) or Avalanche because I will not have another truck with all my stuff rattling around in the back seat (hydraulic jack, tow strap, tie downs, rope, emergency gear for winter, tools, work papers, hard hat, boots, soda or water, etcetera).

The Ram seems to offer more power, larger storage bins in the sidewalls plus storage under the back seat and in the floor and it appears a larger bed. I think the RAM offers better off road/rough road capability. The Avalanche appears to offer more comfortable, a better ride, somewhat better handling and possibly better finish inside.

If anyone has had both, or knows about both any information you have will be appreciated.

Also if I get the Ram, I will get some sort of bed cover that is readily stow-able so if I buy something on a whim, I can open up the bad with no loss of space. The fold up hard cover over the Avalanche bed is nice, for the ram I would look at the heavy pleather roll up type I think unless there is something better.

Thanks.