Dodge/ Ram Heavy Duty Discuss the 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty Dodge/Ram Pickups as well as the Cummins diesel.

1999 Dodge Ram V8 Truck problem starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Default 1999 Dodge Ram V8 Truck problem starting

Hello guys!

I have 1999 Dodge truck and It first started with a metal-on-metal sound. Would start, but took 2 or 3 times. Replaced the starter and it cranks over, but won't start and no more metal-on-metal sound. Ideas.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Banned
Cool Truck problems

I've experienced some similar problems.
Here's my list:
At 30,000 miles: Burning oil like crazy. Had intake manifold gasket replaced per TSB???. Had this done at the dealer for 1/2 price which was over $250.

At 50,000 miles: replaced lower and upper ball joints on front passenger side. Also replaced u-joint on that same side. Replaced tie rod end that connects to the steering unit. Replaced track-bar with aftermarket track bar. Did all work myself for about $350.

At 60,000 miles: Found penny size piece of metal in rear diff when changing fluid. Found out it was part of the limited slip clutch pack. Replaced entire pack. Did work myself for about $400. Replaced with Auburn Gear unit.

At 80,000 miles: Clicking problem when turning and slow leak from power steering unit. Plan on replacing either the steering column, pump, or both. Click only seems to happen when weather is cold and it's warming up now. Not sure what to do with this one.

Brakes seem good on the truck, but front rotors warped within the first 10,000 miles. I've left them and the truck has continued to stop well. I get a little lurching on slow stops, but I haven't made a big deal of it. There has been atleast 3 times that I have noticed a delay during an emergency stop. I too attributed this to the anti lock system. Scared me, but I haven't done anything about it.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM

hi there,

to me that metal to metal sound is something that snaps out of place. which side
of you vehicle are you experiencing the issue? As mentioned on my previous thread
this could be a classic lose contact with your ignition wirings. make sure to check on that and all.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

Hi,
I think it the problem of your fuel pump ,it is not pumping as much fuel the car requires to start so check out for the fuel pump and also as it is a old car you also check for the sprak plug for any moisture on it , this also creats a big problem to start your trucks.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

It might be condensing water vapor in the ignition parts overnight, and gradually drying out the following day, as the sun warms the hood. There could be dirt, dust, and carbon dust in the distributor cap. If the cap is also cracked, the high voltage from the ingnition coil could be leaking to ground, when the cap is damp.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Thumbs up 1999 Dodge Ram V8 Truck problem starting

V8s are generally only standard on more powerful muscle cars, pony cars, sports cars, luxury cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs. However they are often optional on vehicles which have a V6 or straight-6 as standard engine. In many cases, V6 engines were derived from V8 designs by removing two cylinders without changing the V-angle so they can be built on the same assembly lines as the V8s and installed in the same engine compartments with few modifications. Some of these employed offset crankpins driving connecting rod pairs, enabling a more regular firing sequence.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Banned
Thumbs up Dodge Ram V8 Truck problem starting

A Dodge Ram HID conversion kit coupled with some new Ram headlights can transform your truck into a whole new animal. The light output will increase nighttime visibility to unparalleled levels at an incredibly affordable price compared to dealer installed options. Going off road or driving late at night can be very dangerous with old lighting technologies.

Last edited by Worf; 02-18-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: removed spam from post
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 AM

Kindly check to see wheather choke is flooded or inoperable, Sometimes because of blown fuses truck wont start, kindly check the same

Old 07-25-2011, 03:26 AM

I would like to check the connection of the battery. In lot of case due to loss contact thise problem comes out

Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Beginner

I think it the problem of your fuel pump. check your fuel pump & start your truck.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram V8 Truck problem starting