Dodge/ Ram Heavy Duty Discuss the 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty Dodge/Ram Pickups as well as the Cummins diesel.

'87 chevy conversion cummins 12v help?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Beginner
Default '87 chevy conversion cummins 12v help?

hey guys, this is my story. i have a 1987 chevy 4x4 1/2 ton shortbed with a 350. i also have a 1991 dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 automatic with a cummins 90,000 on the dodge.(btw dodge is rotted out) i dont know much about dodges/diesels, im mechanically inclined with chevys. but i want a diesel. and i got steered into buying this dodge. the thing runs mint. and i loooooove my chevy stepside........ so im thinking about taking all the running gear out of the dodge and dropping it into the chevy. i know the dodge and chevy have the same drop for the front axle. just not sure of wiring. brake booster spring perches. fuel tank/sending unit. steering column/shifter linkage. transmission crossmember. i did find a site with the conversion motor mounts. if anyone has any tips or pointers they can give me on doing this swap correctly (not hack) i would appreciate it.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Do you have a non-intercooled '91 or intercooled '91.5?
If it is the non-intercooled the swap will be easier. Another nice thing is the VE pump only needs a 12v feed for the fuel solenoid and you might be able to use the distributor power wire directly to the pump solenoid or if current is too high use it to activate a relay.

Front spring pads on a dodge axle are slightly wider than a GM but the aftermarket does, or did, sell offset poly spring eye bushings to center it. Other option is to cut off the drivers side spring pad from the axle tube, bolt the passenger side into the vehicle and then reweld the LH spring pad. The axle will be slight offset to one side by about 1 inch. We did this on a mud truck but on something nice I'd take the time and look for the bushings or get some bushings modified. Rear axle is easy, just cut and reweld both pads where you need them. Oh yeah, the steering arm on the D60 needs to be changed to a GM one.

Brake booster:
IIRC the dodge uses a vaccum pump mounted infront of the power steering pump so you can use the vaccum booster on your chevy.j

Fuel sending unit:
If your gonna use it in norhtern cold climates then get a sender for a GM truck with the diesel, if not the stock one will work. Just drain all the gas out first.

Crossmember and linkage:
Will have to modify as needed but shouldn't be a killer.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Beginner

My brother is in the process of putting a 12 valve in a little red express truck and it was recommended to box the frame as much as possible as that engine is VERY HEAVY and a lot of torque.