Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Beginner
Default Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

4x4 F250 XL 4.30 axle vs 4x4 Sierra 2500HD 4.10 Axle looking for advice on which way to go.

From my research it seems the F250 XL packs towing with other nice features in a kind of plain work truck like vehicle which I like well enough and the 2500HD SLE trim is a bit nicer. Not as worried about looks as durability though. Both with 6 speed transmission including heavy duty transmission cooler for both and for some reason the Ford doesn't mention HD Engine Cooler, but Sierra does list it specifically. Perhaps it's automatically included or understood in the Ford, but I could not find an upgrade option for HD engine cooler for the 6.2 liter Ford.

The Ford is $4000 cheaper than the Sierra, and has factory goose/5th wheel and factory running boards. The both look very nice, the Sierra has nicer wheels, but no running boards or gooseneck/fifth wheel so that will make the Sierra cost even more.

I would like to keep the truck for a very long time and will take extremely good care of it. This is a one chance to get it right investment for me and I could squeeze the extra money from somewhere for the Sierra but not sure it is the best choice. The Sierra does include the rear view camera and rear window defrost, but that only accounts for well under $1000 in the GM.

The GM dealer says GMC is quality and Ford is quantity. I am sure Ford is quality too and if quantity or market leverage helps Ford offer lower cost quality items then as hard as I work for money I don't want to waste any.

My brain is fried now from studying specs for weeks and I have narrowed it all down to this and it is time to pull the trigger.

Neither dealer will reduce the price for me. It was like pulling teeth to get either to give me an extra $500 or so toward the deal. Ford's Truck Month isn't helping either and they sure aren't giving me 10 or 13k off of MSRP like their adds say this month. The Ford dealer told me it's like a loss leader ad where it only applies to 1 certain vehicle while quantities last and each dealership only gets 1 of the special vehicles so quantities won't last long. Yipes. Anyway...

Sorry for the long story, but any advice as to which truck would serve me best as a long term investment.

Needless to say, I do have towing needs.

Perhaps the question settles on is the Sierra worth that much more money when Ford seems to be a great truck in wide use. Granted the Ford engine is newer, but I had trouble finding any negative reports on the Ford 6.2 liter gas engine. Likewise I had trouble finding significant negative comments on the GM 6.0 liter Vortec either. (As info, I am not going with diesel, hince the gas engines research)

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Beginner
Talking Just my opinion

You noted that the GMC dealer said "GMC is quality and Ford is quantity". Just to make my point on this clear, that statement is nothing more than a diversion to guide the buyer in the direction the salesman wants the buyer to go. SO, I base my opinion on facts from my personal experience.
I bought my 1995 F250 in 2004 (one previous owner). It has a gasoline engine (5.8 L), 2 wheel drive standard cab.The truck has done a lot of towing (although I do not tow heavy with it anymore), it has been across the country four times, and has been driven around West Texas in the summer months on and off road as a work truck. I did replace the original E40 transmission August 2010, the radiator has been replaced, the steering pump and gear box have been replaced, I need to rebuild the engine as it is beginning to lose compression, and it has 273,000 + miles on it.
I really like the reliability of the Fords. I believe that Fords are quantity but are because they are also quality. With that said, I also like the new style of the GMCs. I have thought about a new GMC and might even buy one if I had the extra money to spend simply because I like their design inside and out but I am leaning more toward a used F250 or F350 diesel. At this point, one has to decide what he wants out of the truck and if he has a personal allegiance to on brand or another. Good luck with what ever you get.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Beginner
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by geomath
You noted that the GMC dealer said "GMC is quality and Ford is quantity". Just to make my point on this clear, that statement is nothing more than a diversion to guide the buyer in the direction the salesman wants the buyer to go. SO, I base my opinion on facts from my personal experience.
I bought my 1995 F250 in 2004 (one previous owner). It has a gasoline engine (5.8 L), 2 wheel drive standard cab.The truck has done a lot of towing (although I do not tow heavy with it anymore), it has been across the country four times, and has been driven around West Texas in the summer months on and off road as a work truck. I did replace the original E40 transmission August 2010, the radiator has been replaced, the steering pump and gear box have been replaced, I need to rebuild the engine as it is beginning to lose compression, and it has 273,000 + miles on it.
I really like the reliability of the Fords. I believe that Fords are quantity but are because they are also quality. With that said, I also like the new style of the GMCs. I have thought about a new GMC and might even buy one if I had the extra money to spend simply because I like their design inside and out but I am leaning more toward a used F250 or F350 diesel. At this point, one has to decide what he wants out of the truck and if he has a personal allegiance to on brand or another. Good luck with what ever you get.
Thank you for responding. I agree with your comments. I am to the point where I need to pick one and move on. I appreciate your good experience feedback on the Ford too. Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Beginner

I've been a Ford man for years. Last year I needed to get another truck with a longer bed that the standard short bed in my 07 F150. I had bought a golfcart to take camping & it wouldn't fit in the short bed. Started looking for a F250 (gas) medium bed around the same year as the 150. Hard to find! Started looking at 2500's, same thing, hard to find what I wanted. Found 250's a little cheaper. Finally found a 06 250 4x4 King Ranch that I really like.
So I guess I'm saying both trucks being equal I'd take the F250. To me they just seem like a better truck for the money.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM

What kind of weight are you planning on towing? I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4, equipped with a 6.2 liter, maximum trailering package that tows just under 11,000 pounds. 403hp, 425 torque (i think) .Gas engine, doesn't ride harsh as a 2500 or 3500 truck will, and priced less as compared to a equally equipped one too. No surcharge to cross toll roads and bridges like they do in HD trucks. In essence, it is a step down Denali for $20k less.

GMC- Professional Grade- just like the commercials say !!!

Last edited by 97drexelgrad; 04-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.