Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

ABS & Integrated Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Beginner
Default ABS & Integrated Brake Controller

For all you 2007 and earlier Super Duty owners with a factory-installed Integrated Brake Controller you may have a major potential safety issue. I recently had an ABS warning light appear on the cluster and to my amazement when I pressed on my brake pedal I had no indicators on the Integrated Brake Controller. When I grabbed it and squeezed manually I had full braking to the Trailer Braking System but off the brake pedal there was nothing. Upon further investigation I was able to determine that when the ABS warning light is on the power to the Trailer Braking System is cut from 12 volts to 3 volts. Clearly not enough power to properly engage that system. This "design" was confirmed by Ford and all they had to say was that it was "operating to spec". This design was apparently changed in 2008 so that the Integrated Brake Controller did not get wired through the ABS computer. Unfortunately Ford is standing pat that it is operating as designed and is not seemingly concerned that the design itself may be flawed.