Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Auto tranny

Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Default Auto tranny

I'm in the look out for a new truck, or should I day different truck. My current truck (89 superduty (pre f450)) will be smog illegal in 2015 in CA This is a new regulation that applies to diesels with over 14,000 GVW. Before 2015 I need to replace my current truck with a 2010 engine or newer which will satisfy them till 2020. CA Air resources board if anyone is interested.

Anyways, I will be buying a used truck because I dont want to pay for a new one. I want a Ford because the other brands of this size do not have the GVW of the 450. I want a diesel because I will not change my stubborn ways, and I love them.

So on to the Tranny, My current 89 is a manual and I know they are reliable and I have over 150K on my brake pads and they are still going strong, due in part to the manual I believe. Since I will be buying a used truck I might be finding a good candidate that has an automatic. I think perhaps that the 2010 models do not even come in a standard. Any opinions on the latter year auto transmissions? Can they hold up to the abuse the engines are able to put to them in hilly parts of the country?

If only ford could have an allison.......and a cummings while we're dreaming.........

Thanks
Ron

Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I realize we are all different in our own ways. If you were brought up in a Ford family, you become a die hard loyal Ford fan. Same goes for those brought up and raised in a Dodge or Chev family.
Each of the big three and even Toyota have their good points and bad points. And as you say... The Allison 1000 6 spd transmissions are an impressive piece of equipment.

I was once a die hard loyal Cummins Dodge guy. Now I love my 07 Silverado It hasn't given me any grief and has done everything I've asked of it.

In the 2 years I researched my purchase.... youtube videos and local guys sold me.
I guess what I'm saying... If you don't think Ford is gonna deliver what you're looking for in a rig, be open minded to considering one of the other 2
I don't think Toyota is gonna fill the boots of your old Ford. (Them are some big boots to fill)

Last edited by In2Trux; 04-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator

NEW TORQSHIFT SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSION HARNESSES, CHANNELS INCREASED POWER FROM NEW FORD ENGINES | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

our new Super Duty F350 Powerstroke is awesome so far! A ton of power and from what I hear from a buddy of mine that works at a semi transmission rebuild shop, the Torqshift transmission is almost identical to the Allison. I read an article about it in a farmers magazine awhile back but can't seem to remember where it was.

Anyways, here's a good article about it: NEW TORQSHIFT SIX-SPEED TRANSMISSION HARNESSES, CHANNELS INCREASED POWER FROM NEW FORD ENGINES | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM

thanks for the input! The article on the new Ford automatic tranny sounds good, and I am at that age where automatics start to have more appeal. I am not all that brand loyal but I do typically weigh out of the yard around 15K and unless I am behind the times (which I am) the dodge and GM dualies do not have the GVWR of the Ford. As far as the rest of the truck and reliability, the shop that does all my alignments, suspension, brakes, steering etc (non powertrain work) sees them all and sees Ford the least, and it does not surprise them that this is so.

One more question, I couldn't tell form the article if that was new for 2011 or is it in the 2010 model as well?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

That is just for the 2011 models. the 2010 models have a different engine and tranny that was only used for two years... if that tells you anything

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Kevin, Whats your MPG on your new F 350? I have the 7.3 in my 89, (naturally aspirated), New I had 11mpg and now its more like 10. It doesn't seem to make a difference if its loaded or not. If I'm weighed down it is slower but the MPG stays the same.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Now that it's broken in it's improved quite a bit. It's had 15,000 miles put on it since December

18 City, 22 HWY UNLOADED

14 City, 16 hwy pulling a 32ft gooseneck horse trailer

**EDIT** By the way, if you let the DEF run out, the mileage goes down the tube. Not kidding... we're talking single digits**

Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 PM

On the Transmissions, check this out. I found this on a Ford enthusiast website:

However, EcoBoost is just one part of the equation. The second part of the equation responsible for increasing fuel efficiency are the new types of transmissions Ford is placing in their trucks. Ford’s new model diesel trucks incorporate Alison transmissions. Alison is a highly respected company that is committed to designing and manufacturing transmissions that will enhance fuel economy and still provide the power and torque required by a work-truck. Indeed, Ford has invested a considerable amount of money on the design of a new eight speed automatic transmission. This transmission is exclusively Ford’s own design, and is going to be built in the United States starting in December 2011. According to a resent Ford press release, their eight speed transmission will provide a 2 to 6 percent increase in fuel efficiency over their six speed transmission.

Back to my own delema of needing to replace my truck, I am set on buying a used F450. I need the GVWR that only the 450 provides. To my knowledge none of the other brands are near the 450's 14,500# rating. So what I need to find is a source of info that can inform me of what was available in what years and what as problem free and what did not work so well. I am thinking at this point to get a gasser, because I cannot afford a new enough diesel to comply with the CARB mandates. I believe Ford made a 7.5L gas engine for the F450 as of 89, and then at some point they switched to something else, and then there is the Triton V10 and so on. Does anyone have input as to what engines and trannys worked well and what model years they were available, and which ones to stay away from?

Thanks for the help,
Ron