Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Not a owner yet.. New member

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Beginner
Default Not a owner yet.. New member

Hey everyone..

I think I am posting this in the correct place. Correct me if I am wrong.

I currently have a Toyota Tacoma v6, double cab. Short bed It's been a nice truck, but I am looking for something more..

I am in the search for a dodge or ford 350/3500 diesel 7.3L.

Why you may ask?

4WD. I don't have 4wd on my tacoma. We have some ice and snow where I live and travel, so 4wd would be a requirement. EDIT: I would also like to purchase a used plow, and I would hopefully be plowing quite a bit when the time came.
Diesel, from what I have read, with diesel (And a full size of course) you get more pulling power/torque if I am correct. I would like to be comfortable towing large trailers loaded.
More bed space. Several times recently, I have had to make multiple trips several miles away to dump debris (Trees and branches)
Size. I just prefer the size of a bigger truck. I have driven a 95 F350 Diesel (Single Cab, long bed) and I felt fine with it. I think I could handle a extended cab and long bed.)

__________________________________________________ ___---
What more do I want?
Transmission-Right now I drive a automatic. I would prefer to have a manual, but I need to make sure I am able to comfortably, and smoothly. I have someone who is going to teach me how to drive a manual soon, and that will help me decide if I should go with a manual or automatic.
You may ask why do you want a manual? -I have heard they are better for offroading, which I may encounter. (Can anyone give me opinions on if manual is better for offroading?) Also, I think I will like the feel of a manual more.

Bed-Flatbed would be awesome, but it isn't a requirement at all. One of the things I would be worried about if I was buying a flatbed, is what if the owner was in a accident and to save a bit of $$$$$ just went with a flatbed (And by passing insurance, and bypassing carfax and a accident report) Would it make economical sense for someone to do that?
If I was to buy a flatbed, I would still need to install bed supports on the side because I do on the occasion carry materials that I don't want to strap down each time. (Lawnmower, ect). Have many people done that? I was thinking something collapsible and probably made out of wood. Wouldn't have to be pretty. Also what would the weight of a flatbed do to my carrying capacity? I know the steel can get up in weight..
__________________________________________________ ______________
How much money am I looking to spend???????

Still have to decide on how much I am looking to spend, but probably under 10k. I was thinking probably 2004 or older. I think 2000 or older would be more realistic for my budget.
I would want a truck that hasn't had many known issues for its production year, and I probably wouldn't buy something that has been in a accident.

__________________________________________________ ____________
Other things..
I haven't spent much time on here, but do you guys have "Build" threads? If so, what section would I find them under?

Is there a central thread where I could look at pictures of your trucks?

Thanks! I'll be sure to roam through here and find out more.

Last edited by norcallights; 08-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.