Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Truck will not start (starter not turning)

Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Beginner
Default Truck will not start (starter not turning)

I have a 2002 F350 dually with a 7.3 diesel. I had a windshield leak that dripped water all over the electronics left of the steering column. The alarm went off during a rain storm and I shut it off with the key fob as normal. When I re-set the alarm, it went off again a couple hours later. I turned it off and left it off. The next morning I went out to start the truck and it would not turn over. All other indications in the start sequence were normal except that the starter did not engage when the key was turned to the start position. I thought the alarm ignition lockout had been activated. All attempts to get around this failed. I went to the alarm manufacturer (Silencer) and they told me to disconnect the power plug from the alarm module at which time the truck would be returned to normal operation. It still did not start. I pulled the fuse panel off and found water in the cover. I pulled all the lower bank fuses, cleaned and dried them and put them back. I found one fuse blown # 113 which is listed as the starter motor and thought I had found the problem. I replaced the 30A fuse and tried to start but the fuse blew immediately. I then looked to the starter relay # 307 in the fuse box, pulled it and tested it for function and it checked out fine. Now I am at a loss. The wiring diagram I have in the Owners Guide, and in my after market maintenance manual does not detail this circuit that uses fuse #113 so I have no idea where else to look for the short. Can anyone provide suggestions, or a link to a wiring diagram so I can trace out this circuit and find the short? Thanks!