Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

camshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Default camshaft position sensor

i have a 2007 f250 5.4 v8 dohc and im getting a check engine light on and it is a camshaft position error i replaced both sensors on the front of the engine and had the code cleared but when i stopped to get gas and started it again the check engine light came back on!?! do i need to replace or clean anything else? i khow the diesel engines have this problem and i have seen the fix for it but i can't find help for my gas 5.4.. please help me if you know or direct me to a website for help. thanks

Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

can you tell me the exact code it is showing? I can then tell you what to do to fix it.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Here is what i found on the codes that you sent me

P0011 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0011 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is above a set limit (over-advanced), the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

Causes

P0011 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing
Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

Possible Solutions

This DTC code is a result of a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.

code P0022 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0022 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

P0022 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system

Possible Solutions

The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit.

P340 & P0344 indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.

codes P0340 & P0344 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
the camshaft position sensor may have failed
the PCM may have failed
there exists an open circuit
the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With these two OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

I hope the above information helps.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Default cdmcintyre

I have the same problem with an 07 F250. Runs rough, stalls, etc. What eventually did you replace to repair the problem? my codes are similar:
P0011, P0022, P0171, P0300, P0305, P0307, P0316, P2198
I am leaning towards replacing the vct solenoids, but don't want to be throwing parts at it and find the same codes/problem. Some of the codes are fuel related? Is it the fuel side causing my problems or the out of time cams causing the misfire codes? Any help would be much appreciated-thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 AM

i still haven't fixed this problem... it started back in may i called ford service in detroit she said my truck warranty didnt cover it!?! i called back this month i was told it WAS covered under the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty!?!? wow i was shocked and pissed at the same time. i now have 59,560 miles on my truck took it to the local ford dealer and they checked it out and said they couldn't fix it!?!? WHAT? no way i told them i only have one vehicle and if i had another car i would leave it there and not pick it up until it was repaired. all they wanted me to do was buy a new truck!?!?! i'm soooo pissed off at ford right now and this is my 3rd F-250 bought new from ford and i'm sad to say it but it will be my last ford they have lost a 15 year customer... hello chevy
so if you have or know of a fix for this issue please let me know so i can repair this myself and trade it in to the local chevy dealer.. thanks patanley215

Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM

P0011 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0011 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is above a set limit (over-advanced), the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

Causes

P0011 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Possible Solutions

This DTC code is a result of a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit. Notes: Dealer techs have advanced tools and the ability to follow detailed troubleshooting steps, including the ability to test components using a scan tool.

code P0022 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0022 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft.

P0022 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Possible Solutions

The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit.

P340 & P0344 indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.

codes P0340 & P0344 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
the camshaft position sensor may have failed
the PCM may have failed
there exists an open circuit
the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With these two OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

I hope the above information helps.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM

The problem with the truck I had was fixed by changing the vct solenoids and cam phasers-a very expensive repair-considering the truck was just off warranty and only had 29 000km. The other issue with this type of problem is that because the phasers or vct's don't work properly the cams can be ruined as well-so they may have to replace them l-but the tech's can tell when they rip it all apart.