Ford Heavy Duty Discuss your SUPER DUTY F250s, F350s, and the everlasting POWERSTROKE!

Ignition Problem After Key Linkage Failure

Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Beginner
Default Ignition Problem After Key Linkage Failure

Hey all...

First, be prepared to read lots when I ask questions...I don't leave out details.

I just joined, and I have a problem. I have an '87 F-350 with 460/Holley. It hasn't been driven much in the last few years, but it has been started regularly, and passes CA smog just fine. A few weeks ago, I tried to start it, and the key linkage to the ignition switch bound up and would not work. At the instant this happened, the key was in the start position, the starter cranked it, and it started and revved to about 2000 RPM, then immediately shut down. After that it would not crank...the key had none of its normal positions...lock, off, run, start. It was sticky when turning it in either direction. This had happened about 10 years ago, and the dealer fixed it, for about $400, and it didn't ever feel right after they did. I think they would just rip me off now, since parts are most likely not available.

So I have gotten a new steering column for it from Pick N Pull, but I need to get it to the shop that will install it. I cannot do it myself because I cannot get the shift rod to the tranny out of the lever at the bottom. I had to cut the rod at the yard with a hacksaw. So I have removed the ignition switch from the column and operate it with a long allen wrench. But the truck will not start. It is not getting spark. I have never worked on this Hall sensor type ignition...I have no idea what is wrong. I do not have an EVTM to show me the wiring diagrams or voltages. I put a new module on the fender....the old one was 20 years old and it was cheap. Not the fix. The plug wires are all good. It ran perfectly smooth before, so something basic has failed.

What do you think might be the problem? The coil gets 7.5 volts or so on the battery side, and the other side barely lights up my trouble light. Is the coil bad? Is the condenser bad? I'm thinking this is a simple fix, but I have no idea what to do.

Any help? Thanks in advance.

krazgeo