General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

2000 Silverado ignition key stays in "start" position - no return spring to "run"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Default 2000 Silverado ignition key stays in "start" position - no return spring to "run"

Hi everyone - new guy here. I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 with a 5.3. Automatic column shift with cruise. When I start the truck, the key will stay in the "start" position. I have to manually turn it back to "run" so my starter won't keep running. Also, when I turn the truck off, I now have power to accessories (radio, wipers, lights), just like I have the key turned to accessory. (Never had it before).

I am assuming the accessory power problem is the ignition switch, but am not 100% certain. As far as the spring back to run issue, I'm lost. I've asked several GM techs about this, and have been told the spring function is in the electric switch that plugs into the bottom of the lock cylinder housing, or that it's in the lock cylinder housing itself! I have a new ignition switch (not installed yet), and can feel the detentes for each key position in the gear on top, but not a "spring" action - so I'm doubting what I've been told.

If it's the lock cylinder housing, how do I replace that without screwing up that stupid pass lock system? Isn't the chip in the housing? Also, any thoughts on where to find one? Dealer part only ($106), no luck at salvage yards yet.

I'd sure appreciate some knowledge on this before I tear it apart and get myself stranded because I've enabled the pass lock system! I've searched high and low for an answer to this, and haven't found anything. Lots of info on replacing the ignition switch and lock cylinder, but nothing on my symptoms.

I'm a decent troubleshooter, but would like to make certain I have any necessary part on hand before I tear it apart (the whole "stranded" thing

Thanks in advance for the help!