General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

94 chevy K1500 4.3 vortec fuel or electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Default 94 chevy K1500 4.3 vortec fuel or electrical?

I have a 94 chev K1500 4x4, it all started when at a stop sign one day the idle dropped out and the truck died, when re-starting it turns over but doesn't even try to fire. I can dump starting fluid into the throttle body and she'll start right up and as long as i two foot it everywhere i go it stays running. Just when i come to a stop the idle drops way low and then will die and not even want to start back up. I've replaced the fuel pump twice, wiring harness in the tank, ( service bulletin, claims they short out), fuel pump relay, idle air control valve,alternator, and fuel filter. I 've done voltage checks on the rest of the sensors, which all seem to pass, the computer threw the relay, and iac valve codes, but after replacing them it was cleared and throws nothing now. The truck starts just fine in the morning, and runs fine till it warms up, and then it just doesn't seem to run as good, and sure enough once at idle it drops out. After replacing the fuel pump for the second time it would stay running but the idle is still real low, then finally after about a week it died at the low idle again. This has all been going on since before christmas, and now that i'm broke, and my ego is gone since I'm a mechanic at a local tire shop, i have no idea what to do. I'm about to put my carbuerated 350 in it and be done with it, but i would still like to figure this out before i get into a project this big because this is my daily driver. Oh yeah its a vortec 4.3 6 cyl with the tbi injection, and the fuel pressure will jump to 13psi when i turn the key to run but then drop down 0 but when i crank it, it will jump back up to 13 and start sometimes. otherwise when its messing up, it will jump up to 13 psi on run and back to 0 then on cranking it stays at 0. Please any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm a injured vet with a big family to support and i don't need this right now. Thank You

Old 01-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: 94 chevy K1500 4.3 vortec fuel or electrical?

i believe my silverado is running 53psi. you may want to incress your fuel pressure.trying talking to the parts store or looking in the repair manual find out what the correct setting is, i bet you a dollar your fuel pressure is too low.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 PM

i thought that too but supposedly for my year truck its supposed to run 9-13psi on start up and then drop 3-10 psi while running. I have a low pressure tbi system.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 AM

I am having very same problems with my 95, v-6. Do not see many helpful post for your questions. I hope that by now you have your problem fixed. Just wondering what the problem (S) turned out to be and the fix? If you have the time, please pass on any info for people like us to see and find when we are searching for an answer. Thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 AM

is it making noise when its doing this? ive had some simalar problems with my old 305. sounds more like a spark issue. how old is the ignition? is the timing correct on it?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 AM

need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge...its useless until thats done

Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: Argon

need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge...its useless until thats done
Yup

Old 07-11-2007, 05:31 AM

THERE IS A FEW THINGS YOU CAN TRY BEFORE BUYING ANYMORE NEW PRODUCTS. MAKE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS FIRING BY CHECKING THE SPARKS AT THE SPARKS PLUGS. CHECK YOUR FUEL PRESSURE BETWEEN YOUR FUEL FILTER AND YOUR THROTTLE BODY, IT SHOULD BE BETWEEN 9-13 PSI FOR YEAR MODELS 88-94. CHECK YOU INJECTORS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE GETTING THE CORRECT VOLTAGE. CHECK YOUR IGNITION MODULE UNDER YOUR DISTRIBUTOR CAP. CHECK YOUR TIMING, IF YOUR TIMING IS OFF JUST A FEW DEGREES YOUR TRUCK WILL RUN FUNNY. IF ANY OF THESE THINGS WORKS GREAT BUT AFTER FINDING THE PROBLEM, AND THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE ELSE, ADD AN EXTRA GROUND TO YOUR BATTERY. FIND A PLACE ON YOUR FRAME CLEAN WELL AND ADD A LEAD TO YOUR NEGATIVE POST OF YOUR BATTERY. HOPE SOMETHING HERE HELPS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY FIGURED OUT YOUR PROBLEM.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 AM

Didi you ever find a resolution to your proble? I have a 94 silverado 4x4 with the exact same problem, replaced EGR and fuel filter, was going to replace the pump then heard a lot of talk about it so I did some research and found this posting. Please HELP!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM

i have a 1994 blazer with simular problem it stalls when i slow for a stop or a turn. i have even gone so far as replace the engine. i have a post (didnot fine this one untill after) i ve replaced the control module and not much difference. the thing is after the new engine it would restart right after and just the otherday it wouldnt restart but after another trip on the tow truck it started right up. sorry not any help but just to let you your not alone and if you have found out the answer please enlighten us. JAY

Quick Reply: 94 chevy K1500 4.3 vortec fuel or electrical?