General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

Adding options to a 2008 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Default Adding options to a 2008 Silverado

A few months ago I purchased a new 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. Pretty generic on the options but I hope to add what I want. My question is, are these trucks built with pretty much the same wiring harness? I want to add stereo controls to my steering wheel, flashing turn signal mirrors and a few other options. Plus I want to look into upgrading to a more informative DIC, just have the trans temp, odometer, tripometer. I guess the question I am asking are these newer vehicls pretty much plug-n-play?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am not sure about the 2008's but the older ones are not all the same as far as wring harnesses are concerned. Somethings like the dash cluster are the same. For example you can install a 2500 cluster with the trans temp guage into a 1500 and the trans temp guage will work. Other things like power options are not included in the harness. I added factory power windows and door locks to a 1998 work truck and had to buy an entire harness from a junk yard and then figure out and remove the portion that worked the windows and locks. It wasn't that bad of a job and would do it again if need be. The key is finding the options you want at a reasonable price. If your thinking of buying them from the dealer you are probably better off selling what you got and buying an equipped truck. Junk yards and eBay will come in real handy. Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:57 PM

Thank you for the response. Ebay, junk yards and a brother that works an auto auction that can swap part for part is the way I will go. But only if I am not looking at a major rewire job. if I am I will stick to what I have.