General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

fuel vent blocked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Default fuel vent blocked?

I have a 2006 chevy 2500 hd. I went to fill up the other day and the pump handle kept tripping. I thought it was the gas pumps fault. I tried to fill it at another station and same thing happened. I can fill it super slow but if I go too fast the gas abcks up and trips the pump handle. Im guessing there is a vent for the air that has to come out of the tank and its clogged? How do I fix this? Take the tank down? Check the lines? How? Thanks for any help. Chuck

Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Hopefully somebody can correct me if I wrong. Your fuel system is a sealed unit in these newer models.
There is an air pump that monitors the volume of empty space in your fuel tank to calculate fuel used and remaining fuel available.

Air can be displaced in your tank just as fast as you fuel up.
I think you may need to find that sweat spot to put the fuel nozzle in order to fuel up at full throttle. Try pulling out the nozzle a bit.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Its not how Im filling it thats causing the problem. It takes 20 min to fill the tank! It never used to do this. If its a sealed system then the air has to go somewhere and that has to be cloged or inoperable as the air wants to come out the fill tube, which impedes the flow of gas entering, thus tripping the vapor recovery gas dispense nozzel. I just dont know what to check/replace.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by chucku
I have a 2006 chevy 2500 hd. I went to fill up the other day and the pump handle kept tripping. I thought it was the gas pumps fault. I tried to fill it at another station and same thing happened. I can fill it super slow but if I go too fast the gas abcks up and trips the pump handle. Im guessing there is a vent for the air that has to come out of the tank and its clogged? How do I fix this? Take the tank down? Check the lines? How? Thanks for any help. Chuck
Chuck,

I'm going to get in touch with technical assistance to see if I can get any more information for you.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Last edited by GM Customer Service; 04-15-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Type-o
Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Any word from the tech? I appreciate you interest and help. Thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Hmm... Mine started doing this right after I had the fuel pump replaced, but I just pull the nozzle out about 3/4" and it's fine. maybe run the pump on slow while doing this.

I would try to avoid blowing out those vent lines as much as possible. They're kind of a pain in the *** to get to

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by chucku
Any word from the tech? I appreciate you interest and help. Thanks
I apologize for the delay in response! Dealing with the fuel system can be a safety hazard so their advice is to take this concern to your dealer. If you wouldn’t mind keeping us updated on your situation, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
Laura

GM Customer Service

Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

of course the gm tech is gonna send you off to a gm dealership to have it looked at
thats how gm gets money aside from selling a car or two
and plus they will over charge the hell otu of you
take it to your local trusted mechanic where they wont charge you so much and also you prolly just need to pull the nozzle out a little