GM Document ID# 1638038
"Information on Upgrading Certain OnStar Generation 5 Analog/Digital-Ready Systems to OnStar Generation 6 Dual-Mode (analog/Digital) #05-08-46-006 - (Mar 24, 2005)
2003-2004 Buick Rendezvous
2004 Buick Rainier
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade Models
2005 Cadillac SRX
2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2004 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer Models
2003-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models
2004 GMC Canyon, Envoy Models
2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2004 Pontiac Aztek
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003-2004 HUMMER H2
This program is only available to dealers located in the United States. Canadian dealers will not be able to order upgrade kits at this time.
This bulletin is being issued to provide dealer personnel with information and procedures to follow should an owner wish to upgrade their OnStar® Generation 5 analog/digital-ready system to an OnStar® Generation 6 Dual-mode (analog/digital) system.
Customers who wish to upgrade their vehicle to an OnStar® Generation 6 Dual-mode (analog/digital) system will be required to purchase a 3-year, non-refundable, subscription to OnStar®. If they agree to this, they will be eligible for an upgrade, which will be provided to them at no additional cost. This program will be available beginning on March 29, 2005.
Important:: If the customer sells their upgraded vehicle prior to the end of the 3-year subscription, any unused whole months of their subscription can be transferred to their next OnStar®-equipped General Motors vehicle.
Important:: The new Dual-mode (analog/digital) OnStar Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) that will be installed into the customer's vehicle, as part of this upgrade, will have a new telephone number assigned to it. There is no way to transfer the customer's current telephone number to the new system.
Important:: Only vehicles listed in this bulletin will be eligible for the Digital-upgrade program. Other vehicles are being studied for possible inclusion into the Digital-upgrade program and may be added at a later date. You may also determine vehicle upgradeability by typing the VIN into the appropriate field on www.onstarenrollment.com
Technicians are to install the OnStar® Digital-upgrade kit using the following procedure:
1. If the customer's vehicle is listed in this bulletin, and they have agreed to sign up for a 3-year, non-refundable subscription to OnStar®, an upgrade kit can be ordered by calling the distributor, Autocraft, at 1-888-947-8100. Upgrade kits will be shipped out within 24 hours and a pre-paid return package label will be included for returning the customer's Generation 5 VCIM. By returning the customer's original VCIM, you will avoid a significant non-return core charge. Refer to the Parts Information table below to determine which OnStar® upgrade kit to order.
2. Once the kit has been received, remove and discard any existing OnStar® Owner's Manuals in the customer's Instrument Panel Compartment. Place the new OnStar® Owner's Manuals from the upgrade kit in the customer's Instrument Panel Compartment.
3. Unscrew the existing analog OnStar® antenna mast from the antenna base and discard. Screw in the provided analog/digital OnStar® antenna mast into the antenna base. This step only applies to the following 2003 model year vehicles (skip to step 4 if the vehicle to be upgraded is not listed below).
- 2003 Buick Rendezvous
- 2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
- 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
- 2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
- 2003 HUMMER H2
- 2003 Pontiac Aztek
4. Replace the OnStar® VCIM in the vehicle with the provided analog/digital VCIM. Refer to the Communication Interface Module Replacem