General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

Truck won't start for 2 days, then starts right up?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Default Truck won't start for 2 days, then starts right up?!

I have a 1998 Chevy, 5.7, Auto, 110000miles.Saturday I go out to start truck it rotates but won't start, same thing on Sunday, ran fine on Friday. I checkbattery it's good,I'mgetting spark, I don't hear fuel pump(replaced 2006) buzzing to prime. I check fuel pump relay fuse under hood,I can feel it clicking when wife turns key to on position. I go out this morning(monday) andtruck starts right up on first turn of key?! I drive around, doesn't hesitate or stall on me. I come back home, turn off, starts right back up. I can hear the pump priming when turn key on now. I wait 4-5 hours and try to start again, starts right up. Going to lettruck sit overnight see what happens in morning. Does anyone have any idea why truck wouldn't start Saturday or Sunday but started right up this morning? What do I need to check? Help if can.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Default RE: Truck won't start for 2 days, then starts right up?!

probably the pump..or the connector burnt where the pump plugs in..

was it a gm pump ya put on?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:44 PM

if the pump was bad would it work one day and not the next? same for burnt plug wires. it was OE pump put on. could it be one of the female receptacles on the fuse box for the fuel pump relay? if the one that tells the pump to prime is not getting a good connection could that cause it? the relay fuse would still click when turning key on b/c it's getting power i'm guessing. i'm at a loss. i know i went out today and stopped at 3 different places inside little while came out, truck started right up. got home, pulled relay fuse, put back in and pumps not priming again, truck not starting!fiddled with relay and truck started up!crazy!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 PM

well..no one wants to hear the CORRECT WAY to check your problem..but here goes..lol

you need a 12v test lite...make sure your fuel pump fuse is lighting up EVERY TIME you turn the key on..check it many times under different conditions,and try to check it WHILE ITS ACTING UP....

ok,let's say the fuse powers up,but the pump is not running...(common scenario)...now drop your tank down somewhat to gain access to the connector ...get that test lite on the gray wire...have someone turn the key on,and see if your getting power...try to check it while its acting up...

visually look at the terminals in that plug..i betcha the gray or black is melted from heat..

another test...it may have 12v but not enough current to run...rig up a high current item (*like a headlite) and make sure the gray wire can lite that up as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM

i'll check the harness tomorrow. i was asking the questions b/c i had another tech telling mea female receptacle on the fuse box might be bad. he said take a male pin off old relay and try each female end for resistance to me pulling it out and one of them felt loose.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 AM

true...the heat can travel all the way from the pump to the relay receptacle...it'll be melty and fairly obvious in there