GM How-To's and Tutorials Have a project you're working on? Take pictures and write up a procedure...We'll post it here!

How to turn off your oil change light

Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator
Default How to turn off your oil change light

Recently I changed the oil on my wifes lumina and was bugged by that fact that even though I changed the oil the light didnt go out.

I had to do some research and I was able to find out how to reset the oil change light, in the course of doing this I have found some ways for you guys who own the GM trucks to do the same.

Below is how to reset your oil change light in some GM trucks.

Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL, 2000-05 Chevrolet GMC Trucks Silverado, & Sierra
Turn the ignition key to the RUN position. Fully push and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. If the CHANGE OIL SOON light flashes 2 times, the system is reset. However if the light comes on and stays on for 5 seconds, the system did not reset. Repeat the procedure if the system does not reset

GMC Denali, Envoy, Sierra, Yukon, Chevrolet Suburban, Silverado 2006
Turn the ignition key to RUN with engine OFF. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times with in five seconds. If the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10 seconds, the system is resetting. Turn the key to LOCK.

and just in case your wife happens to own a lumina

Chevrolet Lumina 1996-01, Monte Carlo 1996-99
Turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds. If the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator flashes two times, the system is resetting. Turn the key to OFF, then start the vehicle. If the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator comes on and stays on for five seconds, repeat the procedure.

I am sure there are some people out there who may be as frustrated as I was so I hope this information helps

Last edited by Worf; 04-05-2010 at 09:14 AM.