GM How-To's and Tutorials Have a project you're working on? Take pictures and write up a procedure...We'll post it here!

How to: Use 4Wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Question How to: Use 4Wheel drive

I feel like an idiot posting this but...

I've had the privilege of owning several Silverado’s and never had a 4x4 one. I now own a 2008 Chevy Silverado Z71 with mods yet I've never used the **** with the 2wd-Auto-4H-4L.

Recently it has been very snowy and slippery out so I'm trying to get educated now.

PLEASE HELP. Any knowledge is better than nothing so please share. THANKS!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

I do not have a chevy but the way i use my 4 wheel drive in my truck is...

2wd- normal driving

4H- I use this for driving at normal speeds throughout town if 4 wheel drive is needed

4L- cannot go very fast in 4L so this i use only if i am going very slow or get stuck

The AUTO setting i do not have in my truck, but I would assume that it allows your truck to select the proper setting depending on road conditions.

I hope this helped some.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Thanks

I've spent the day learning on the fly! 4wheel drive is truly amazing, and I can't believe I hadn't tried it sooner. The drive no longer feels like I'm surfing to my destination. Snow is no longer an issue for me.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

yeah 4 wheel drive is great

Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default i love my four wheel

yeah have you tried offroading yet youll have a blast just make sure you bring an experienced frend with you cuz its in evitable that youll get stuck your first time and need someone to pull you out
also go mudding its a blast but can be a very expensive hobby and things are bound to break

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Default 4x4 thoughts!

Hey! I like you just recently got a 4 wheel drive ('09 Chevy) and I use it in the bush a lot! One thing your manual will say is not to engage the 4 wheel drive on dry pavement as it will damage your drive train - listen to this! (read your manual) It will make a hell of a noise if you engage the four wheel on dry pavement and try and turn - Use your Four wheel drive on Snow and loose soils in the bush or back country and on pavement during inclement weather - it will take a bit of time to get use to and you will have to change your driving habits but it will make the difference and you will wonder how you lived without it! Good luck!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Administrator

I use my 07.5 LMM 4x4 for lots of different reasons.
I use my 4H mostly for wet or snowy green light intersection launches. I would never do it on dry asphalt, cause I still haven't got the tie rod end link mods yet.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 AM
TruckForum Addict

i use my 4wd also for alot of different reasons
like if im working in a farm pasture thats muddy or had just rained
pulling my brothers dumba** friends out of ditches
pullingstumps or small grain silos down
yes i no i put alot of strain on my truck by doing so but that was with my old truck and it was very good at it as it had a shift kit and abunch of other options done to it
i also do like to go do a little off roadin but the darn dnr shut down one good spot and teh city took a dozer to the other spot by our level be road so i cant do much of that anymore
the 94 i just baught is gonna be a work truck also so it will be doin most of what the older one did mimus pulling down small grain silos as its a very high milage truck
4wd i will never use on dry pavement only in the proper conditions

Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Just remember, 4wd will get you going faster on slick surfaces, but it doesn't help you stop. I can't tell you how many irate H3 and Jeep owners I have caught inspecting ditches.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by DEburban
Just remember, 4wd will get you going faster on slick surfaces, but it doesn't help you stop. I can't tell you how many irate H3 and Jeep owners I have caught inspecting ditches.
i here people all the time say this saying i have 4wd i wont go into a ditch
later the same day ill see a couple people i know in ditches cause they forget that 4wd dont help ya stop any better

Quick Reply: How to: Use 4Wheel drive