New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

How to grease your sealed hubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Beginner

It'll work good for a mud truck but I don't recommend filling it that full for a truck that sees lots of highway miles. There has been a rightup on the TDR site about a guy drilling and tapping his hubs for a grease fitting and giving them a couple pumps every oil change. He is/was a over the road hot shot driver and replaced several hub assemblies and got many more miles with the greasable ones.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 AM

The actual bearing grease has a higher temp break down point.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Kendall Super Blue 427 grease is -10 to 400 degrees F. Just how hot do you think these hubs run? I am waiting for warmer weather and then I will be doing a thermal reading in the hubs again. If you look inside you will see blue grease. I can only find one grease that is blue in color with the high temperature range and that is the Kendall Blue. The only other thing I have to go on is hundreds of thousands of miles in a mining atmosphere without the massive failures we used to have. When we prep a new truck it is part of the standard proceedure to pack the hubs from the get go. We used to spend 100 to 120k a year on hubs. In the last year in a half we spend 5% of that so you judge.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 AM

I do the same thing to my seals bearing, but i use the napa brand wheel bearing grease.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Beginner

It'll work good for a mud truck but I don't recommend filling it that full for a truck that sees lots of highway miles. There has been a rightup on the TDR site about a guy drilling and tapping his hubs for a grease fitting and giving them a couple pumps every oil change. He is/was a over the road hot shot driver and replaced several hub assemblies and got many more miles with the greasable ones.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tamisone
Back with a new name huh?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Greaser
If you look inside you will see blue grease. I can only find one grease that is blue in color with the high temperature range and that is the Kendall Blue.
The GM hubs that I have disassembled have had red grease in them.
The OE usually have enough grease in them from the factory to coat the reluctor ring but many aftermarket ones don't. Some of the aftermarket ones I've cut appart have very little grease in them so in those cases I'd like more grease in them.

Do you guys still get the kevlar sleeves to protect the CV boots?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Yep. They are a good investment.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 AM
Beginner

Home Termite Control professionals are always on the lookout for ways to educate people in the community about preventing termite problems

Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tami sone
Home Termite Control professionals are always on the lookout for ways to educate people in the community about preventing termite problems
Thats great. really. What was that again?

Quick Reply: How to grease your sealed hubs