Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > S-10/Sonoma/S-15 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Default 2000 S10 Overheating Problem

Hello All,
I have a 2000 Chevy S10 4.3 (2wd) with about 130k. The other day my wife was driving the truck (I wasn't with her) and the engine temp needle shot way up, the check gauges light came on, and she said "smoke" (most likely steam) was coming out from under the hood. She immediately pulled over and called me to come get her. When I arrived I checked the coolant and sure enough, it was pretty much empty. I was surprised because it has never consumed coolant before and I check the fluids pretty regularly (I say "consumed" because there was no evidence of a leak). Anyway, I put more coolant into the reservoir, and drove the truck about a mile (sounded fine), but the truck still overheated... and it isn't an inconsistent overheating--just a steady rise of the temp needle. I checked the truck the next day by taking it around the block a few times and sure enough, the temp needle started going up pretty quickly again. Any ideas out there? My first thoughts are a) there might be air caught in the system or b) there might be a clog in the radiator or hoses somewhere. I thought for my first attempt I might elevate the front end, loosen the radiator cap one click, and run it a bit to see if it's able to draw coolant into the system; and then when the truck gets to normal temp try running my hand over the radiator in search of cool spots. Let me know if that's a good first step in my case, or if anyone has better ideas. I just figured I'd start with the easiest and cheapest possible fix before starting to replace parts.

If I do need to start looking to replace parts, what's the logical order to do it? Would I start with checking hoses for gunk, then replace the sensor, then the head gasket? Thanks, experts. I'm admittedly new to this but I'm eager to learn how to take care of repairs like this on my own.

Thanks a lot for your help, and I hope I haven't asked too many questions at once.

BTW - We live in Northern Nevada, which is pretty dry, and the outside temperature was probably around 90 degrees F (in case that makes a difference).

HC
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!

Last edited by HonorCode; 08-15-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Tags
10, 2000, check, chevy, fix, gauges, heating, inconsistent, light, overheating, problem, problems, radiator, s10, truck