Cheap Body Mod List

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Default RE: Cheap Body Mod List

Might want to add some info on how to debadge your vehicle (The silverado badge and the 4X4 on the rear. Pretty simple, but would be nice to have included in the mod list.

Also, if I can find a part number, I'm going to put a little write up on how to have a removable tool box for your vehicle. (so you don't have to drill into the bed).

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 AM

jaxspellinar: Noted, I can elaborate on popo's post.

Popo: Added your post with a link to your pic.

I also added pics of my truck with the fog lights and painted embelm/mirrors. (Pay no attention to how dirty she is).

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 AM

That didn't take long....

Adding a Removeable tool box:

Most toolboxes that go on top of the bed of a truck require that you drill through your bed to mount the truck. This writeup is for those who want a toolbox without destroying their bed.

1. Purchase a tool box for your truck. Aluminum boxes from Tractor Supply Company or another NON-STEEL toolbox is preferrable. If you get a low profile box, you might have to do some modifying to the mount to make it work.

2. Purchase at least two (2) of the following item. You can find them locally sometimes. A regular anchor that they sell at WalMart will not work.
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...tnum=HIUANCHOR

3. Purchase some rubber or synthetic mat, about the same thickness as the height of the base of the anchor. I used non-slip rubber mats that you can get for a garage toolbox.

4. Install the base of the anchor on the bed, towards the cab. They are simple screw systems and will hold tight. I had one strip out when I moved my setup from my '94 to my '04 Silverado, so you might want to get some new screws and tap them when you put it in.

5. Measure and drill two holes just larger than the post screw into the box. Measure twice, cut once (I have three holes in one side of my box :$ ).

6. Cut the rubber strips and glue them with rubber cement to the bottom of the toolbox next to the holes you drilled (just far enough so they don't overlap with the base of the anchor. This will protect your bed from the metal of the box. Using rubber means that little water/salt/sand should get under it and wear on the paint. If you are really concerned about rubbing, you can purchase some bed rails and put those in first, then the anchor, then the rubber.

7. Lift the toolbox gently into place. Put the post of the anchor through the hole you drilled in the box and into their mount. Tighten the post to secure the box to the bed.

8. Removing the box: Simply open the box, remove the anchor posts. Remove the box and replace the anchor posts.

Note: Low Profile Toolbox. You might have to cut down the actual anchor. You won't have the loop to use as an anchor when the box is off, but at least you could remove the toolbox if you need extra room in the bed.

I can get some pictures at some point this weekend if needed, maybe after it stops snowing....

Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Toolbox idea was added. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Non-Marking Bed Caps

This was an idea I had, but haven't gotten new bed rails/caps for my '04 yet....

Bed rails that are held down by either anchors or that have no pocket holes are subject to vibration and rubbing which can ruin a paint finish because the stainless steel or aluminum is rubbing against the paint on the truck.

To prevent this, get yourself some thin rubber no slip mats and cut them so they fit inside the bed cap. Using rubber cement or other adhesive, glue the rubber to the inside of the bed cap. Trim as needed so it can't be seen after the cap is put onto the truck. Mount the cap per instructions and the non-slip rubber should keep the bed protected against paint damage.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Folgers

That's actually not a bad idea, it makes the Classic 00-07 models look like the newer Silverado models, but my only complaint is with your situation is, it is just so small it looks unnatural.

Still a good look and idea though, I'm not knocking it one bit.

[/quote]

there are just too many one liners that can come from that!
I priced out the 2007 bowties and they are running about 50.00 avg. i got this one for $5. i agree the bigger one would be cooler but as you will find out and everyone else knows, i am a CHEAP SOM BITCH! Ido just about every thing for close to free on my truck. I just can't see spending that much.

thanks for the compliments tho.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM

good list, but it seems you forgot the clear (top) corner mod...

this site is decent but doesnt provide enough pics... http://home.comcast.net/~00gmc/free_clear.htm

Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 PM

you mean clear side markers?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:40 PM

i just did the painted bowtie and must say it turned out great, i used 2 coats of clear and got it dead on but mines a dark almost midnight blue. took a few hours to finish the bowtie mostly just drying time and had it back on the next day and it looks much better against all the chrome.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Sweet, if you found a good price on paint it reallt pays off. And at least you got it to match dead on, wouldn't be able to pull that off with a purchased bowtie Im sure.

Quick Reply: Cheap Body Mod List