Ultimate Free Horsepower Mod List

Old 04-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrLM7
I started on this thread a long time ago, and I think some people on the forum havn't been on here long enough to see it... So here it is... can somebody say "STICKY"?

These mods are for the 99+ trucks/SUVs withV8 engines...

1. "Redneck Ram-Air"- Take your stock airbox out and cut many small holes to perforate (sp?) a large section to be cut out in the frontof the airbox(facing the headlight), under the joint where the filter sits. You can do this with an ordinary household drill anda hole-saw (like for cutting door-**** holes).... BE CAREFULL NOT TO CUT TOO CLOSE TO THE JOINT WHERE THE TOP PORTION OF THE AIRBOX ATTACHES!!!Make sure you clean out all the plastic shavings before reassembly. For best results,I highly recommend a high-flowdrop in air filter such as a K&N. I think Auto Zone sells them for around $50. These air filters are lifetime filters that you only clean when they need to be cleaned. When you go to the track (or around town), you can take the passenger side headlight out and have a free Ram-Air-ishsetup. It will help bring cool air in the engine (especially at highway speeds). Money saved-$300 compared to the Vera Ram system. Even more if compared to a ram air hood.

2. "Mass Air Flow Sensor ScreenRemoval"- To do this, you just loosen the clamps around the sensor with a flathead screwdriver, slide the tube to the side and then remove the sensor from the airbox. CAREFULLY unclip and remove theconnection. With the sensor screen side down, VERY CAREFULLY push the screen out with the end of something (Craftsman ratchet handle works well), MAKE SUE YOU DO NOT HIT THE SENSOR WIRES!!! People have seenunfavorable results from this modification by hitting the sensor wires!!!Put it back together and be sure to securely fasten the connection and air tube. Money saved- $300-compared to an aftermarket MAF sensor.

3. "Air Gap Manifold"- Locatedunderneath the throttle body,under the intake manifold and above the lifter valley,there is a little insulating pad that helps cold starting and warmup. In environments were this is not needed, it can be removed, it's your decision. Just unhook your intake hose from the throttle body, move it up and out of the way, and you'll see it. On the back side of your engine, there is another one. Just climb up there, reach around, and pull it out. This one won't come out as easily, but it's still not too hard. Next, remove your engine cover from the top of your engine. There is about 3/8" of insulation on the underside that is good for cold weather, but that's it. These can comeoff andgo backon andgo in and outany time you want.The cover has a bolt on the top and little clips on the back. Money saved- N/A, to the best of my knowledge, nobody makes an Air Gap manifold for the LS1 series engine.

4. "Throttle Body Coolant Bypass"- On the bottom side of your throttle body, there are two hoses. These hoses bring hot coolant through your throttle body and like the pads, assist in cold weather startup. Do you realize how much better your truck runs when it's cold, (temp gauge at or below 160)? When it gets warmed up, (gauge at 205-210), throttle resonse is greatly reduced. This mod wiil let you have that throttle response all the time.This mod DOES COST YOU ABOUT TEN DOLLARS. All you need is a 12" piece of steel brakeline, (I forget the size, but I remember it was two from the smallest this Auto Zone had.I've got the tag somewhere, though. If you need to know, just send me a message!!!), and two clamps that fit on those hoses (less than 1" diameter). Get the screw kind. Make
I did all these this past weekend. Throttle response seems much better. I likey

Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Beginner
Default More Dtails please - MRLM7

Quoted from first post -

4. "Throttle Body Coolant Bypass"- On the bottom side of your throttle body, there are two hoses. These hoses bring hot coolant through your throttle body and like the pads, assist in cold weather startup. Do you realize how much better your truck runs when it's cold, (temp gauge at or below 160)? When it gets warmed up, (gauge at 205-210), throttle resonse is greatly reduced. This mod wiil let you have that throttle response all the time.This mod DOES COST YOU ABOUT TEN DOLLARS. All you need is a 12" piece of steel brakeline, (I forget the size, but I remember it was two from the smallest this Auto Zone had.I've got the tag somewhere, though. If you need to know, just send me a message!!!), and two clamps that fit on those hoses (less than 1" diameter). Get the screw kind. Make

I am pretty mechanically inclined but just want to make sure what the rest of this post said to do.

I do not want to mess up my new 2008 GMC Sierra.

So Pictures, please post this again with the cut-off info included.

Doug

Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Beginner
Default Mods applied

I did the intake airbox - swiss cheese mod, maf screen removal - WOW I'm glad these work

Now just waiting on the throttle body bypass - INFO

Thanx for the ideas

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Beginner
Default Red neck air ram??

I have an 05 2500hd and want to do the intake freebee. I have a airfilter change cartrigae.Does that need to be removed to do this mod??

Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by 72charger
Yeah I recommend starting with the ram air box mod! That is actually the only one I've done but it works AWESOME! With a K&N air filter it's just like a cold air intake!
i am really thinking about doint the ram air on my 94 but i would like to see pictures of what you guys are talking about i know how to drill the holes and all but the other thing your talking about im not sure of
i also heard that if you take off the air box that connects to the pass side fender and make a custom tube down towards the radiator and cut a hole it will do tha same

Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by llewis660
ok so i got to know every one talks about all these mods but what about cutting off the cats?
if you cut the cats off youll definatly notice a performance differance
i cut my cats off on any vehical i have ever owned my 05 crown vic p71 has true dual and i took the cats off and it exhails much better
aslo take the cats to a local metal recylcler there worth alot of money so you can get more mods lol thats what i did
also my 94 4wd ext cab has no cats jsut true dual with cherry bombs
and its quick on the get up and go but the mpg sucks and the gearing is stock
but yes you will get a gain from gettin them off
also where i live they dont do inspections and dont have laws like other states on exsuasht jsut has to have mufflers
but no one checks as i hope soon i can get mine of the crown vic and run them out the side behind the wheels

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by cubpak89
if you cut the cats off youll definatly notice a performance differance
i cut my cats off on any vehical i have ever owned my 05 crown vic p71 has true dual and i took the cats off and it exhails much better
aslo take the cats to a local metal recylcler there worth alot of money so you can get more mods lol thats what i did
also my 94 4wd ext cab has no cats jsut true dual with cherry bombs
and its quick on the get up and go but the mpg sucks and the gearing is stock
but yes you will get a gain from gettin them off
also where i live they dont do inspections and dont have laws like other states on exsuasht jsut has to have mufflers
but no one checks as i hope soon i can get mine of the crown vic and run them out the side behind the wheels
Might want to do alittle fact checking, Iowa doesnt have Emission system test. But I beleive there is a $ fine for altering or even working on a exhaust system that has the cat eliminated.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Beginner

Anyone know if the ram air part would work for a 1999, Chev K3500 Dually with a 454? the air box is quite different from smaller V8's, like my truck. ( Its closer to a tractors, than most trucks), Has anyone tried it?