Toyota Tacoma Discuss the Toyota Tacoma here

Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Beginner

I find all of the hate to be just plain ignorance. I have bought and enjoyed 7 Toyota's, 2 GMC, a Pontiac GP, a Chevette, a Gremlin, a Chrysler 300, a Buick Park Ave, a Mercury Lynx, 2 Olds Cutlass. I currently have my Tundra, a Bronco, and a 74 F250. All of these vehicles were great vehicles with the exception of the Lynx. It was straight up Junk, but I sold it 22 days after I bought it for more money than I paid.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Beginner

I don't hate it! I am a mad lover of toyota tundra, though i hadn't drove it till yet but still i hold a deep love for it.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Beginner

As far as the pot stirring goes, every new vehicle has its problems. Doesn't matter who makes it or where it is built! I think we have become so used to the list of problems being so long on the big three that we have become immune to the faults. The new Tundra had some issues, the biggest was the camshafts breaking in the new 5.7 liter. If you ask me that is a huge whoops! Then I ask myself should I change my opinion of a manufacturers integrity based on a couple years of problems. I don't think so. Toyota is doing everything they can to take care of all the issues and on there dime. Other import manufactures do the same even bumping up the coverage of a problem well beyond the original warranty. If they have an issue that is common they take care of it! Thats something that the big three have not figured out yet.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by roshanill
As far as the pot stirring goes, every new vehicle has its problems. Doesn't matter who makes it or where it is built! I think we have become so used to the list of problems being so long on the big three that we have become immune to the faults. The new Tundra had some issues, the biggest was the camshafts breaking in the new 5.7 liter. If you ask me that is a huge whoops! Then I ask myself should I change my opinion of a manufacturers integrity based on a couple years of problems. I don't think so. Toyota is doing everything they can to take care of all the issues and on there dime. Other import manufactures do the same even bumping up the coverage of a problem well beyond the original warranty. If they have an issue that is common they take care of it! Thats something that the big three have not figured out yet.
I guess that is why the '08 Tundra had one of the worst reliability and cost to repair records? I'm well aware that the big three have their warts. But the big three also build simpler, cheaper vehicles that still deliver good service. Most any independent garage (read cheaper) can fix them, and the parts are cheaper too. I'm a GM guy, not a zealot, just what I've owned for the last 5 trucks as I just like the way they drive. Easily the GM's have been the most reliable and cheapest to own of any vehicles I've have. Yes, there were some very minor issues but cheap and easy to fix. I also WORK my truck. I've yet to see a Tundra that wasn't a cowboy cadillac. I can still get fairly base trucks from the big three with the big engines and tow options I need, and at a reasonable cost. Toyota, not so much. And I am a toyota owner, I have a Sienna minivan that has been great so far. I just dread changing the spark plugs, they are basically inaccessible. Stupid design. And when the electric door breaks is $2000, in PARTS! Toyotas are not cheap to buy or fix, thats just good advertising.

RT

Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Well I don't like them cuss they are hard to steal and you can't get them in pink.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM

When I was gonna buy a new truck, before I bought my 05 GMC, I test drove a full sized half ton truck from all the major brands except Dodge (sorry, just can't stand them), and i have to say, I was gonna buy the toyota tundra. it had the smoothest ride, best acceleration, did the best burnouts (big sale key for a 19 year old), and have the nicest interior. It won hands down over any of the other cars I drove (Ford was the worst).

Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Beginner

I like the new Tundra and even considered buying one. What now has turned me is that the Tundra is limited in models and options. Went to my local dealership to check into ordering a Tundra and found out there is absolutely no dealer options available if I wanted to order a new truck. Was interested in the SR5 Plus model which could not be ordered with vinyl floors or in the color Barcelona red color which is only offered in the top models. I do not like the car trans shifted in the tundra either which only waste space and can be knocked out of gear with your knee off-roading.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Beginner

I've always been a Chevy man. Last 4 trucks were all Chevys 00,04,06, and 10. All lifted 6 inches and all of them either had to have a transmission or a rear end put in them. I now have a 11 Tundra and will not go back to Chevy. Trucks built like a tank, not a car like GM's crap. And as for towing no comparison.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Beginner
Red face Foreign Toyota Tundra

I own a 2005 Tundra Crew Cab that was assembled in US of A . It has 95000 plus trouble free miles . It has always performed as needed . I also own a Z71 97 model that has had some parts worn out issues, but it has 247000 miles. In garage is a classic 88 Silverado that awaits a new transmission at only 138000 miles . Before some of you get your panties in a wad I am literally here because of GM .my Father was a line worker for 36 years before retirement . I put myself through college by working the line for 5?years on nite shift . Some seem to think that everything has to be made here to be good . The world is actually very international and money flows around like water . As long as EVERYONE works we can buy sell and trade with each other. Sorry to be so long winded but some comments on here need to be corrected . Some users need to mature a bit .