Wash and Wax We love our trucks, and we to clean them up. Post any tips or questions about washing, waxing, buffing, or what you do to prevent rust!

Removing asphalt from Paint and Chrome

Old 05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Default Removing asphalt from Paint and Chrome

Let me be clear- this was NOT tar. This was asphalt caked about 1/4" deep on my tailpipe, rear fender, inside wheel wells, step bars, and front fender. It was tough!

I tried about three different bug and tar removers with absolutely no luck... Even the heavy duty ones wouldn't even change the color of a white t shirt.

I read a few articles online saying to try diesel fuel or kerosene, and not having either, I went on to WD-40. AMAZING!

Painted areas: I coated the affected areas in WD-40 and waited five minutes. With light rubbing, it began to come off. I dried and coated again. Repeated the step. On the third coating, I began to use my fingernail protected by the t shirt to pry off the pebbles of asphalt. They came off quite easily as did much of the tar residue. A fourth coating and wiping with a new dry t shirt took off the remainder. Good as new. Time: 30 minutes.

Chrome and Tailpipe: I coated the areas with WD-40 and allowed it to work for fifteen minutes. Many of the specs came off quickly with a t-shirt, but to expedite the process I grabbed some steel wool and went to town. One-two passes over every area and it looked as good as new. I wiped dry, coated again, and wiped with a clean cloth. Time: 20 minutes.

Plastic mud guards: Repeat same step but use plastic putty knife instead of steel wool. Time: 25 mins.

Tailpipe: Soak for thirty minutes in WD-40 and use a COARSE scrubbing pad. Everything came right off.

All in all I am extremely happy with the results. All it cost me was a bit of time and a can of WD-40. As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about weeds in my driveway for awhile!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:20 AM
Beginner

I also tried removing asphalt from my fenders and wheel well using kerosene, I sprayed it on and used a foam to lightly agitate. Had to dwell it for 3 minutes and rinse, degreaser and final rinse. I had to repeat until all asphalt were gone.