Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy/GMC Heavy Duty (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-gmc-heavy-duty-102/)
-   -   Code P-0405....HELP PLEASE! 02 Duramax 6.6 Crewcab 4x4 (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-gmc-heavy-duty-102/code-p-0405-help-please-02-duramax-6-6-crewcab-4x4-16453/)

basswall 04-24-2011 11:17 AM

Code P-0405....HELP PLEASE! 02 Duramax 6.6 Crewcab 4x4

I want to Thank all you guys for this site and your individual participation. I'm humbled by your willingness to help idiots like me.This site is "COOL" and so are you "BOYS" Thanks in advance!
I been real busy with lymphoma cancer so I'm sorry for not getting back to your respones earlier.
Anyway,this 02 6.6 with 122,000 has had the dealership replace the entire injection system and on 4/15 replaced all the glow plugs.This code P-0405 keeps my "check engine soon" on and the truck "long cranks" if it has sat for 24 hours or more. It acts like the glow plugs aren't getting hot, but I have this code on so I don't know whats going on.I have included this info. I saw on the web. can anyone tell me what is possibly going on here??

P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) A Circuit Low

P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) A Circuit Low
Engines recirculate a small amount of exhaust back into the intake manifold to reduce combustion temperatures and lower smog causing oxides of nitrogen emissions. The computer commands the EGR valve to open a certain amount and then checks to make sure it's operating properly. One way to check is to mount a position sensor on the shaft of the EGR valve and generate a voltage value depending on how far the shaft moves. If the computer senses too low of a reading from the position sensor, it will set a P0405 code. That can either mean a bad position sensor, a bad EGR valve, or a wiring problem in the circuit. Don't automatically assume it's a bad EGR valve.

I have to figure this out so the "check engine" light stays off, it drives me crazy with it on all the time. Another thing, I'm pretty much broke from fighting this cancer. I can't afford to drive up to the dealership and say "fix it" "fix it no matter the cost" I can't do it!! My batteries are 730 CCA. I think the truck calls for 800 CCA. Will this alone cause this or any other problem(s)???? Thanks you guys!
Will this cause "long cranking" alone by itself? I just don't think that this.......I don't know why I'm getting ready to say this crap! I have no idea if this causes "long cranking" or not! Can anyone help me with this problem? I hope to hear from you. Thanks,Chris "basswall" I have no idea how I came up with basswall as my handle. I struggle with all that crap, passwords, user ID, all that naming of myself or equipment really throw me for a looppppp. HELP HELP help this idiot with his Duramax!!!!:confused: Thanks you guys..Thanks Alot! Your help means alot to me right now.I'm struggling to "feed" the family.

GMCSierraFan 04-24-2011 11:45 AM

Hmm... I don't know about Duramax engines, but I know that EGR valves have a habit of going bad on the 5.7 and it makes sense to me that if it doesn't open up to let the exhaust gas back in then it won't work properly and return that code.

I'm just spitballin here, but if the EGR valve won't let the gasses back into the comubstion chamber for ignition, then it will take longer to start because the fuel to air mixture will be slighted until there is enough time for the mixture to right itself?

Someoen else is gonna help me here, common sense and logic only work 50% of the time on these newer cars

basswall 04-24-2011 02:27 PM

I'm thinking the system only works after it is running. I don't think it has anything to do with the "mixture" when trying to start it...what do I know, I'm asking the question!!!
Anybody know about this 6.6 Kevin, I thought you were a diesel guy when you responded to another one of my posts??

GMCSierraFan 04-24-2011 04:23 PM

We've had quite a few of these diesels, but we've never had a problem with them... I don't really know much when it comes to the mechanics of them since they've always been newer. We don't have much of a diesel crowd on here, but I'm hoping someone will have your answer