Chevy/GMC Small Trucks Forum Discuss the Colorado, Canyon, Sonoma, S-10, etc here!

97 Chevy S 10 starter/block problem..!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Beginner
Default 97 Chevy S 10 starter/block problem..!

I have a 97 Chevy s10 and where the starter bolts onto the block the bolt hole on the block has broke off with just maybe a few threads towards the end. One mechanic said I needed a new motor or take it out where someone could weld on it? What should I do? Advice needed cannot take anymore of a lose.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

You mean there's only a few threads of the bolt left in the block, or the bolt broke off a few threads deep into the bolt hole?

Either way, it's a cast iron block, I wouldn't advise welding on it or risk welding the bolt to the block. I would go the way of heating the block and drilling a small hole into the bolt and using an ezout to try and work the bolt free. If the ez out doesn't produce any results from some light twisting, then I would back up and try drilling the holes fresh and installing a helicoil or timecert to resize the holes back to O.E. bolt size. The problem is if you break the ez out inside of that bolt, you might as well ditch the entire operation and buy a new engine. Honestly, hate to say it, but that EZ out is hardened, and you'd be hard pressed to get a hand drill with a run of the mill drillbit to get that bad out out of there. You'd think if the tool is hardened, it wouldn't break in the first place.

Either way, you're in a world of hurt right now. I feel for ya ... Good luck

Old 09-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Beginner

No the bolt did not make off... There's bolt housing broke, the housing on the block,... Yes, I know I'm in a world of hurt I was just hoping maybe give me some advice on another route of which I can take, I think I have a motor found but I was hoping since I have to take the motor out anyways maybe I chose pretty something a little bit better back in it

Old 09-11-2015, 11:51 PM
TruckForum Addict

Ahh okay. Yep, I agree, could be welded if you removed it from the truck. The biggest issue with welding cast iron is that it needs to be prewarmed to take the weld nicely. It needs a gradual warm up, and a gradual cool down in order to not crack or cause distress to the welds and what not. Even so, once it's welded on, you'll need to make sure that the mounting surface for the starter is good and flush or you risk damaging the starter/flywheel if the mount isn't on good and square.