Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy/GMC Small Trucks Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-gmc-small-trucks-forum-13/)
-   -   Need help w/ 97 s-10 cutting out at constant speed. (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-gmc-small-trucks-forum-13/need-help-w-97-s-10-cutting-out-constant-speed-2419/)

taewa 01-19-2007 09:21 PM

Need help w/ 97 s-10 cutting out at constant speed.

I have a 1997 Chevrolet s-10 (s10) 2wd ext. cab w/ the 4.3L V6 vortec engine and manual transmission. The truck starts easily, but it cuts out when driving at constant speeds. It seems fine during acceleration and at idle, other than some clanking sounds at idle (not sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not), but as soon as I try to maintain a constant speed, it starts to hiccup every couple seconds. I am not experienced in auto repair, but research points me towards fuel pump and/or filter. Is there a way to diagnose this without fancy tools? A fuel pump is a lot more to replace than just the filter, so is there a way to differentiate which might be bad, if either? Other ideas???

Thanks so much.

Streakn 09-08-2007 01:15 PM

RE: Need help w/ 97 s-10 cutting out at constant speed.

Fuel filter is the easiest and cheapest place to start, try it first if you don't kow anyone who can check your fuel pressure.

blacksilverado 10-04-2007 04:42 AM

If you say that you truck is fine under acceleration then it wont be your fuel pump because that is when it's taxed the most. It's hard to say what it really is without knowing the background or history of the truck maintanance wise. Does the truck stall or just sort of stutter a bit, and when was the last time you did a tune up on it?

Ryan

vtech1 10-21-2007 02:20 AM

Howdy, teawa. Try taking it to autozone or a local parts store and let them know you have a clanking sound, it could be a pully wheel going bad. Also have them do a FREE scan to see if it registers anything that might track down the problem. most part stores are helpfull in letting you know whats wrong with minor problems. And its cheaper than a sevice tech.
[sm=type.gif]

taewa 11-17-2007 06:27 PM

First, I think the clanky sounds were just the catalytic converter. It seems the previous owner broke up some of the contents, and then put a bolt in the hole they had created.

Second, I took the truck in when I got the CEL to come on and stay on for a couple starts. I got two error codes P0300 (random multiple engine misfire), and P0171 (system for bank 1 is too lean).

Any ideas? Could this be related to the cat?

orangecrush 09-05-2008 06:12 PM

Im having the same problems on my 94 2.2L s-10 i changed o2 sensor and throttle position sensor also... still didn't fix it. MY buddy said the injectors could be a lil clogged haven't tryed it yet..

sinistervii 12-09-2008 05:37 PM

I had that same problem around 3 months ago..... the think that you need to do is check all your vaccumm lines under the hood. I thought it was the fuel pump, I replaced the fuel filter...... both of those didnt work... I looked under the hood and found 2 lines that where old and broke. I went down to autozone, spent 3 dollars and boom, there you go.... all fixed