Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy/GMC Small Trucks Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-gmc-small-trucks-forum-13/)
-   -   Thinking of a Colorado? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-gmc-small-trucks-forum-13/thinking-colorado-4805/)

muddyblaze 10-16-2007 08:41 PM

Thinking of a Colorado?

I currently do not own a Colorado or Canyon but have been seriously thinking about it. I currently own a 99 Blazer 4 dr. that is 4wd. Don't get me wrong I really like it and I have big plans for it. Yesterday though while doing routine maintence I discovered a lot more things that will need to be repaired or replaced before that can be done. I have already sunk like 5,000 maybe more in it and I am now having a hard time justifiying sinking more into. It has provided me with many of miles but now I think its time to go in a different direction. To keep doing all that I have had to do and the new repairs needed to go further with the project is getting very expensive.

What I am wondering is I am looking to buy either a Colorado or Canyon 4wd and either an extended cab or the 4 dr. with the 5 cylinder (the GMC vs Chevy - basically the same to me and makes no difference). What truck do you have and how do you like your truck, what is the gas mileage really like, how does it do offroad (REALLY) (dealers will tell you anything to get a sale and during a test drive I have yet to find a dealer that will let me try the 4wd) and what mods have you done and how does it respond to modifications. One last thing what don't you like?

Sorry this is so long I just what to see what you guys and girls think because you drive them daily and offroad them so its better to go straight to the source. Like I said I am to some degree hard on my truck (no worse than most) but I am 4 wheelin country boy.

Thanks, Zach

Argon 10-17-2007 04:33 AM

RE: Thinking of a Colorado?

I think they are pieces of ****

the 5 cyl's shake due to natural balance issues...the grills fall out on dirt roads...they eat brake pads....and they cost as much as a real truck

muddyblaze 10-17-2007 09:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Now the next queston what would you guys recommend as I would prefer to stay with a smaller truck as the main thing I use it for is 4 wheelin (quite a bit and would start modifying it as soon as purchased)and just daily driving. I need a truck thats strong and will not fall apart or start breaking crap in a month.Like Isaid I am open to anything whether its an import (which now most from what I have read are made here), and I don't need an 8 cylinder.

99Silverado40 10-17-2007 06:55 PM

Spend the extra cash or go into more debt and buy a full size.

Surfer0527 10-19-2007 03:25 PM

I have a crew cab 5 cyl 4wd and i live in Alaska and i havent had any problems with my truck yet. It does have a natural vibration but its not so bad that it really bothers you. The 4wd works great in the snow and overruffterrain and after 30,000 miles my grill has not fallen off. The gas mileage is only bad when your heavy on the gas but when you take it easy you can do pretty well.

I've changed the exhaust to a magnaflow which sounds great and put the knn intake on it which im not super happy with because it sounds like there's an air leak somewhere. i've also done the stereo pretty heavily.

The things that bother me are the lack of options for lifting and making it a better all terrein truck. Their aren't a lot of parts out their for lifting and modifying the suspension and you are limited on the wheel selection based on the wheel off set.

Any othe questions let me know

nuk3sum1 11-05-2007 03:56 PM

I also have an '06 crew cab 4x4with 3.5L 5 cyl. I just installed a new K&N intake kit and it sounds like there is an air leak somewhere. I searched as much as i could, but found nothing. Between 2500 and 4000 RPM it sounds good, but when you are lightly accelerating it sounds horrible.