Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'01 silverado gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Default '01 silverado gears

Does anyone know what size gears are in an 01 silverado? i got a clunking when i go from park to reverse and i think i got it narrowed down to some slack in my frontend. any advise?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: '01 silverado gears

If you have a 4.8L/5.3L V8 it most certainly has 3.73 gears ... Im not sure what this has to do with your front end though ?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM

I'd check the universals on the drive shaft. Had to replace the u-joints on my 2000.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 PM

its 4 wheel drive and when i have my wife put it into reverse i can see the front driveshaft catch the diff. and that is when it clunks. i already checked my u joints there is no slack in them

Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 PM

First;
The Clunking isn't the rear end, it's the U-Joint@ RearEnd & the Driveshaft.. There is a STB on both and I had my whole unit + rear end replaced after the drive shaft ripped & snapped @ the rear U joint, destroying my rear end & Driveshaft. If your dealership won't warranty it, call GM's Complaint line direct, WARRANTY OR NOT as it is a real danger when the rear siezes or the Shaft comes through the FLOOR.
The GM Complaint Dept WILL send you to another dealership so call them sooner then later if your Dealer gives you BS. BTW; if they tell you you just need the "yoke's Greased," @ only $70 per end, they are screwing you as there is no way or need to do such. I took a ton of crap from my dealer until I called GM's complaint line
Second;
Any model of Silverado w/trailer package has the 4:10, otherwise, I believe it's a 3:72.

Do Not let this go or let GM off the hook for this. The people at the Complaint center WILL get you to a dealership that will deal with this. I urge you to get up and look for the STBs (Service Tech Bulletins) widely available as there is another for the Parking Brake that will cost you near $300 if you let it go and not pressure your dealership or GM to fix. It applies pad pressure 24/7 and since there is no brake warning clip to screach, your screwed.
Just Google STB or Service+Tech+Bulletin+Silverado
GL
Greek in Ca...

Old 10-22-2006, 02:49 PM

And YES, it won't cost you a dime... Just be polite, GM wants your business. I own the 00Z/71, 99 C5 and a 02 SS/Z28. I have never had to pay a dime on any STB. Believe me m8, the Driveshafts from 99-02 are touch and go. If you have the clunking, it is just what I said it is.
GL
Greek

Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 AM

the only way i got that problem fixed in my truck was going with after market every thing

Old 10-31-2006, 11:11 PM

so i just took my truck to the dealer to get it looked at and they told me that it was a little slack in chain in my transfer case. they told me that it was no big deal even though i know it could come apart and f*ck up my case. has anyone ever changed out one themselves? is it pretty hard?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:24 PM

I'd look for an STB on what sounds like BS. As I mentioned before, the clunk your hearing may very well be a problem with the driveshaft which has an STB on it and several others which show how it affects related drivetrain components harshly. GM took care of the problem without a single question. The dealership and primarily the Service Manager recieve Zero comission on STB related service. Trust me, I am not a know it all so there may very well be a loose chain but with 150k on my 00/Z71 having all STBs done buy GM using GM parts, I would look hard for a complaining body of similar issues. If in fact there is a loose chain I doubt it would be only you who is suffering. My clunk went away after GM replaced both the driveshaft and rearend out of warranty. Fight hard guy, you paid for the respect.
The only item I have had to pay for was a new Tranny just 2 weeks ago from my dealership. The "SUN GEAR," went and is a known weak point in the 460-e tranny. I had previously asked ammco what it would cost to replace that gear and it was close to $1200 for a minor rebuild. My new Tranny is "New," not rebuilt w/3 Year 100,000 War, it cost me $2700 installed. They even put on my Mag-Hytec pan for free. (It adds 4-7 Quarts to tranny depending on having/Not having Tran cooler). I bought all the DexIII prior to the tranny change since I had the pan changed out and no, it doesn't void the warranty. Beware of the dealership who tries to add the cost of a new torque converter on top of the tranny as it comes with a new one from the factory already installed on the tranny. I also put a Mag-Hytec Cover on the rear end using "Amisoil," instead of GM's brand. Both pans have mags in them, the rearends on the dipstick, a great idea. The advantage with getting a rear Mag-Hytec is you can change the rear oil without having to remove the cover as it has a large flush drain plug not to mention you can check the level with an allen wrench to remove the dipstick. Worth the $$ for both pans and adds 20k to trans oil cange.
Good Luck and look for those STBs hard.
Greek