Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

supercharger question

Old 10-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Default supercharger question

ok guys. i'm about to get back from iraq in a few weeks and i got a few things done to my truck since i've been gone: cold air intake, system, exhaust etc... now im looking for a little more power. my dad told me that if i didnt want to put a bigger engine in my truck i should get a supercharger. i've been looking everywhere online for a while now and cannot find a supercharger for a 2007 chevrolet ls classic 4.3 ltr 2 wheel drive. anyone know of any sites where they might carry these? already tried whipple and ebay but didnt come up with anything. any help is highly appreciated. thanks yall

Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Welcome back! Read both your posts and you have to decide what you want out of your truck. IIRC, physically swapping a small block in is not the problem. Making it talk to the computer is. IMHO, that is an awfully new truck and swapping an older V8 into it and retaining any of the functionality will be very difficult. Your only hope would be purchasing a wreck with the engine you want and swapping it all over. The supercharger may be a better idea. Wynjammer.com may be your only option, and they don't even offer a kit yet. Reality is, sell the '07 and buy a V8. RT

Old 10-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I agree. With a 5.3 or even 6.0 you can just simply add a cam and torque converter and gain bout 100hp+!!

Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM

hey guys. i really appreciate the help. thats what my dad was telling me too. just buy a bigger truck if i want more power. i just love my truck so much lol

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah I understand that. Going forced induction gives you more power but also costs more. More air means more fuel. My 1500 1/2 ton is perfect for me. With all the little mods I have done like intake, exhaust, LS1 cam, and custom tune, Im puttin out close to 360 hp with 23 MPG on the highway. That is really good for an extended cab with a 5.3. These truck motors were well built. I personally like the 3rd gen motors. Just dont know much about the 4th gens. But I hear the 09 Sierra's are comin out with a stock 6.2L 403 hp from the factory. Maybe you could look into that.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Beginner

Trucks are for hauling stuff, right? So dumping tons of cash into one to make it very, very fast is a bit counterproductive given that you would go faster putting the same money into a car.....

I understand you like your truck and thats why I say you need to decide what you want your truck to do. I had a '95 1500 w/4.3liter and a 5speed. Bought it new, did underdrive pulleys, TBI spacer, cat-back and CIA. Truck ran great for 190K before I sold it. Always got 19-20mpg and did everything I asked it to. Was it "fast"? Hell no, but these things are relative. It was the best it could be and I was okay with that.

Putting a supercharger on your truck will get you up to where a stock V8 is, maybe. There is 100hp between the 4.3 and the 5.3 with basically the same fuel mileage, and thats stock. If you sold your truck and purchased a new/used 5.3 the difference in costs would likely equal the cost of the supercharger but with no extra work or maintenance. I'm guessing that a used 5.3 with a tune, cat-back and CAI will give you all you'll ever need.

Please don't hack the '07 and drop in a 383 old school engine. It will never pass smog testing, never be "right" and permanently devalue the vehicle. It will never be as reliable, fuel efficient and you can forget anyone other than you working on it. I can't think of a shop that would want to touch it. If you must swap an engine then find a wrecked '07 with the engine you want and all the other parts too.

RT

Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Agreed with the above post. Your best bet is to just get rid of your truck and get a newer one with the 5.3 in it.

If you want something extremely fast, buy a car, if you're okay with dumping large amounts of cash into your truck, with minimal gains, then that is on you. We can't tell you what to do with YOUR truck, this is ultimately all up to you. Do what YOU want to do and what will make YOU happy. You know?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 AM
TruckForum Addict

Look at www.ls1truck.com
There is a sticky under the mechanical section that tells how to do a engine swap pretty easily. Then as far as the computer not communcating. Look into a Nelson Tune who is a sponcer for the site. The site along with this one has lots of knowledgeable people. I think if I like my truck as much as you do I think I would just put a motor in it. It is cheaper, plus you do not have another truck note. Just my opinion though.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 AM

Hey guys. Thanks a ton for all the info. It really has helped me a lot. I think I am going to go with timber74wolf on this one. I have an almost new motor from my dad that I really want to put in it. Its not that I want to go super fast or anything, I just want a little more power. And thanks a lot on the computer info. My dad told me it wouldnt be hard to swap it out, we were just concerned with the computer problem. I'll definately look into the site. It's been hard finding information on my type of truck. A lot of auto parts sites dont even have LS's as an option. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it

Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Okay, I wish you all the best I really do. However, I have torn down and rebuilt, hotrodded, etc. more engines, transmissions, and entire cars than I can remember. I'm also pretty decent with computers and prefer FI conversions over carbs. That said, I wouldn't be interested in your project. There are just too many trucks out there. Selling yours and picking up another is very, very easy. The cash required to make up the difference in trucks will be cheaper in the long run than what you are about to do. You are welcome to it, I hope you pull it off. But I reserve the right of first "I told you so" RT