Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Hard Start/No Start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Default Hard Start/No Start when cold

Hey, this is my first visit to this forum. I bought a 1996 4.3L VortechC1500 thispast year.It has about 140,000 miles on it right now and just recently i have been running into a hard start (some times No-Start) when cold (sitting over night on a cold day).

I have checked the plugs, spark at the wires, fuel pressure (holds about 62 psi steady). The crank sensor was replaced, the injector has been cleaned (disconnecting the fuel line and running the pressurized solvent throught the injector).I pulled the IAC motor and cleaned the carbon from it (wasnt too gunked up anyway).

Using the Haynes manual i checked the Cam Sensor (not a complete check as i could only check for voltage with aDVOM).

I checked the resistance of the coolant sensor against the resistance vs. temperature chart in the Haynes manual and it seems good.

No trouble codes have been set.

To top it off, when i spray starter fluid into the throttle body, it starts up without and issue, and will restart without a problem after that. This leads me to beleive that the problem is related to fuel.

Any ideas on what could be my problem or what else i could check? At this point i am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default RE: Hard Start/No Start when cold

check your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator and change the fuel filter if you havent yet