Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Tranny set-up sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Default Tranny set-up sucks!

I took my truck to the garage to get the transmission filter changed and to get it inspected. I got it inspected just fine but they were busy so I decided to pull it around back and do it myself with the help of some of my old co-workers and their tools! Well, we got it done but boy was it a b*tch! It would have been easy if we could have gotten the drain-plug out and we didn't have to de-rust the manifold flange bolts and remove the exhaust! Boy did we make a mess. It took 2 hours to do but we got it done. Im debating if next time I should just bite the bullet and pay to have it done at the dealer! Oh and we never got the drain-plug out but now I never will cause we rounded it off pretty good.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Tranny set-up sucks!

You had to remove your exhaust, why was that? Woa never had to go that far... I just remove the exhaust heat shield on the one side then dis-connect the 4 wheel linkage and I was good for a drop and this was done mind you by myself with jack stands. >.>

Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Couldn't budge nor could I remove the linkage. I mean I cranked on the linkage after removing the pin, nothing. Tried gently moving and pulling on it = nothing, harder and used a screwdriver = nothing. Prybar = nothing. PB Blaster = nothing. I couldn't even bend the bracket out of the way enough to clear the pan of the exhaust and that was with the heat shield removed. Thats little sob is on there good and I ran out of ideas on trying to get it out, move it or get around it, so off with the exhaust. I know its extreme but it better than replacing the linkage I'm sure. It looks like the exposure to road salt rusted the bracket to the point where it almost looks glued to the linkage (the barrel looking part of the linkage). I didn't know what else to do.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM

How ironic, I use tranny fluid to loosen bolts!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM

Damn my pops and I use PB blaster like **** stars using lube, amazing it didnt work. o.o Ive been dis-connecting the linkage from inside the cab, I remove the 4 wheel drive cover and shifter which gave me a better angle at pulling it off though sad corrosion got to you.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 AM

I couldn't even do that(with the linkage) because my transfer case is electronically operated (no shifter). I prob could have forced it out if I wiggled it enough but I put it through hell already and knowing my luck I would have broken it.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 AM

I'll tell you what, Im glad I went ahead and changed the filter though. You can hardly feel the damn thing shift and it takes off a little quicker too. Thanks Argon for the advice!